KPK Questions

Captain Simian

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a KPK pineapple soprano and have a couple of questions.

1. How does the bone nut and saddle sound with acacia?

2. How's the factory setup? Did anyone feel it needed some minor tweaking?

Thanks!

I have a pineapple longneck with the rosewood nut/saddle so can't common on the bone. Factory setup was perfect. I talked with Jason about it beforehand and we settled on action of 2.5mm with low G and it was just like that. Plays well and sounds good.

I have the pineapple longneck and had the bone nut and saddle installed. It's gorgeous, was set up properly, and has no issues. I believe it has Worth strings which I will likely change to Oasis lights or Aquilas. I was "slightly" disappointed when it did not hold it's own against my KPK acacia concert, which likes Aquila's. As with many ukes, tone/volume increases dramatically with size. This is no exception. It has a clean, sweet tone, adequately loud but not overly so. Unless you were to stumble on a "steal" in a used model, you cannot find a similar uke this good anywhere near it's price range. I have an ebony nut/saddle on my KPK concert and would never change it.

I have 2 KPKs, both acacia. One is the deluxe tenor and the other is a pineapple soprano. Both have bone saddle & nut and I was quite pleased with shipping, quality, set-up an communications. Only "problem" I had was that the tenor bridge saddler was a touch too high - 5 minutes with some 220 grit and the problem was solved. I did change the strings on both, as I'm partial to Aquilas. KPKs: a great deal! I'm now saving to get an acacia deluxe concert. And, I plan to meet jason next time I'm on O'ahu.

bobinde

I have a tenor with bone nut and saddle and it sounds gorgeous. Great sustain, intonation and overall tone/sound is wonderful.

Thanks for all the comments. Still trying to decide between the mahogany nut & saddle or bone. Leaning towards bone because if it's a little too bright I know I can tame it with a string change.

I have a KPK soprano and I don't think the nut/saddle in mahogany or bone makes that noticeable of a difference to the sound. If you want to change the tone from bright to warm or vice versa, I feel that switching strings would have a bigger effect than nut/saddle material.

If you're still on the fence, you can always ask Jason to set it up with bone but to also include the mahogany nut/saddle in case you want to change it out yourself.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but this is related so thought I'd ask here. DO the KPK's (regardless of model) have a removable nut and saddle? ALso, is there a nut slot, or does it just sit there?
Thanks!

Top Bottom