PDA

View Full Version : KPK Questions

Captain Simian
07-07-2015, 03:03 PM
I'm thinking about getting a KPK pineapple soprano and have a couple of questions.

1. How does the bone nut and saddle sound with acacia?

2. How's the factory setup? Did anyone feel it needed some minor tweaking?

Thanks!

Jim Hanks
07-07-2015, 05:25 PM
I have a pineapple longneck with the rosewood nut/saddle so can't common on the bone. Factory setup was perfect. I talked with Jason about it beforehand and we settled on action of 2.5mm with low G and it was just like that. Plays well and sounds good.

PhilUSAFRet
07-08-2015, 12:48 AM
I have the pineapple longneck and had the bone nut and saddle installed. It's gorgeous, was set up properly, and has no issues. I believe it has Worth strings which I will likely change to Oasis lights or Aquilas. I was "slightly" disappointed when it did not hold it's own against my KPK acacia concert, which likes Aquila's. As with many ukes, tone/volume increases dramatically with size. This is no exception. It has a clean, sweet tone, adequately loud but not overly so. Unless you were to stumble on a "steal" in a used model, you cannot find a similar uke this good anywhere near it's price range. I have an ebony nut/saddle on my KPK concert and would never change it.

bobinde
07-08-2015, 02:03 AM
I have 2 KPKs, both acacia. One is the deluxe tenor and the other is a pineapple soprano. Both have bone saddle & nut and I was quite pleased with shipping, quality, set-up an communications. Only "problem" I had was that the tenor bridge saddler was a touch too high - 5 minutes with some 220 grit and the problem was solved. I did change the strings on both, as I'm partial to Aquilas. KPKs: a great deal! I'm now saving to get an acacia deluxe concert. And, I plan to meet jason next time I'm on O'ahu.

bobinde

Ukejenny
07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
I have a tenor with bone nut and saddle and it sounds gorgeous. Great sustain, intonation and overall tone/sound is wonderful.

Captain Simian
07-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Still trying to decide between the mahogany nut & saddle or bone. Leaning towards bone because if it's a little too bright I know I can tame it with a string change.

Jeffelele
07-08-2015, 03:29 PM
If you care about such things take a look pictures of a mahogany and an acacia. The acacia is really beautiful and very well matched.

Jeff

wildfire070
07-09-2015, 08:05 AM
I have a KPK soprano and I don't think the nut/saddle in mahogany or bone makes that noticeable of a difference to the sound. If you want to change the tone from bright to warm or vice versa, I feel that switching strings would have a bigger effect than nut/saddle material.

If you're still on the fence, you can always ask Jason to set it up with bone but to also include the mahogany nut/saddle in case you want to change it out yourself.

Fleacia
07-25-2015, 10:23 AM
I don't mean to derail the thread, but this is related so thought I'd ask here. DO the KPK's (regardless of model) have a removable nut and saddle? ALso, is there a nut slot, or does it just sit there?
Thanks!