Two Shots at Buying an MBU!

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
TheUkuleleSite is offering two different Moore Bettah Ukuleles in an auction format. Auction closes 7/14. See their web site for details.

Starting bids are $6K and $8k, which are both well outside of my price range, but the highly inlayed one sure is extra purdy! :drool:

I wonder what they'll end up selling for?

Way, way, way out of the wildest reaches of my bank account.

Could we form a syndicate maybe? Get a handful of us to form a little conglomeration then we could go with a time share arrangement. You're welcome. :p

Could we form a syndicate maybe? Get a handful of us to form a little conglomeration then we could go with a time share arrangement. You're welcome. :p

Brilliant............I'm in, sign me up :music:

MBU ukes are great. But those prices are absurd. This MBU frenzy has gotten out of hand.

Chuck's ukes are worth every penny they sell for. One can have a great uke for less for sure, but the top custom luthiers have ukes that typically price over $4k/$5k and up. And they have a wait list. The Ameritage case, shipping, and store sale commission would add to the price. These Moore Bettah Ukuleles are works of art for the ears, eyes and hands.

For comparison, there is a nice Devine tenor for sale at Ukulele Pua Pua for $10,900. They recently sold a new custom shop Martin tenor for over $9k.

Last edited:
I too think these are pretty ridiculous, same goes for Martins $99,000 dread and other companies who do the super super super highly decorated stuff. I mean these are musical instruments and in my eyes that means they are supposed to be used to make music. However at this point of decoration it has turned it purely into a piece of art or something to look at. I love art and can appreciate it for sure but No matter how good these sound they will not get played I am guessing they will go to an extremely wealthy business person in Asia or somewhere else I the world and will either hang on a wall or if they do get played, get played very horribly and get all scratched up. Again just my 2 cents but It just seems like no pro or serious player would ever buy these, for this price they would get a less blingy instrument made to ther specs. Now I do understand like I said these are visual art pieces, but I love instrument makers who concentrate on how to make their instruments sound as best as possible , play as best as possible, and last a long long time rather then dreaming up what inlays they can put on next. Just my opinion not meant to offend anyone who owns some of these pretty highly decorated ukes.

Last edited:
I too think these are pretty ridiculous, same goes for Martins $99,000 dread and other companies who do the super super super highly decorated stuff. I mean these are musical instruments and in my eyes that means they are supposed to be used to make music. However at this point of decoration it has turned it purely into a piece of art or something to look at. I love art and can appreciate it for sure but No matter how good these sound they will not get played I am guessing they will go to an extremely wealthy business person in Asia or somewhere else I the world and will either hang on a wall or if they do get played, get played very horribly and get all scratched up. Again just my 2 cents but It just seems like no pro or serious player would ever buy these, for this price they would get a less blingy instrument made to ther specs. Now I do understand like I said these are visual art pieces, but I love instrument makers who concentrate on how to make their instruments sound as best as possible , play as best as possible, and last a long long time rather then dreaming up what inlays they can put on next. Just my opinion not meant to offend anyone who owns some of these pretty highly decorated ukes.

Maybe I'm biased (I accept that possibility) but I think that Moore Bettahs sound even bettah (pun intended) than they look. I am certainly not a pro don't know about "serious player" either. But once I got one, I never played any of my other ukes (some nice K brands) ever again. I have never played an instrument that sounded better, or more importantly, felt better. I get they are expensive, that is true. But I have to agree to disagree with you -- these instruments do sound as best, and play as best as possible. FYI, I am not offended. Different strokes for different folks. But for my 2 cents, they are the best in the world in playability and tone. The inlay decorations are essentially icing on the cake. For that matter, while one of my MBs is heavily inlayed, I actually think the "plain" one sounds and plays as well or better - so both were well worth the cost to me.

Maybe I'm biased (I accept that possibility) but I think that Moore Bettahs sound even bettah (pun intended) than they look. I am certainly not a pro don't know about "serious player" either. But once I got one, I never played any of my other ukes (some nice K brands) ever again. I have never played an instrument that sounded better, or more importantly, felt better. I get they are expensive, that is true. But I have to agree to disagree with you -- these instruments do sound as best, and play as best as possible. FYI, I am not offended. Different strokes for different folks. But for my 2 cents, they are the best in the world in playability and tone. The inlay decorations are essentially icing on the cake. For that matter, while one of my MBs is heavily inlayed, I actually think the "plain" one sounds and plays as well or better - so both were well worth the cost to me.

I agree with Staci I have played many nice ukes...and there is something with Chuck's ukes...at the end of the day it is my favorite uke tone wise and the fit and finish the best......
but that is just me....try playing one and you will hear the difference...I like Chuck as a person too.....makes my MBU feel more personal

I admit that I have no personal experience with MB ukes and customer service does mean a whole lot to me so that's great to hear. And like you say different strokes. I am just always geared towards plainer instruments where almost all the $ is towards the build, sound, and specs I want. Now I listened to the videos and they do sound really great. I am just curious what a less adorned 7k MB uke where none of the cost is going towards the beautiful (but time consuming which means $) inlays would sound like. Or even more curious about a MB $2.5-3k uke with no bling
For example If you look at some of the best classical guitar makers in the past 150 years. Other than Torres, the ones whose work has really become world renowned are usually the plainer designs where they have created something vastly superior or groundbreaking in terms of sound and or tone.
Sorry if that got off track, anyways congrats to whoever gets these. I really hope they get played!

Last edited:
I agree with staci, mb ukes are top of the line, it's not only to me that they sound great, play comfortable, amazing workmanship, look amazing and to me worth every cent. Also remember, I do also value the awesome relationship /
Friendship from Chuck, which means alot to me in owning his ukes that he put his heart and soul building for me. Chuck is a true artist which is why his ukes are the
Very best money can buy in the ukulele world, so much attention to detail in every aspect...it's the whole "Moore Bettah Experience ".
Like any high end product, rolls royce, bentley, louis vutton, etc. Not all can get one and experience owning one
To play daily and enjoy.. when i play his ukes, and the feeling i get enjoying, it is like no other .
Happy strummings

Last edited:
I would agree that Chuck's ukes are right up there, but I never seem to hear DeVine ukes mentioned in the same breath, which surprises me slightly.

<edit>

apart from on the previous page by Doc J :eek:

oops

to those who saw my post that was up briefly, my apologies--what I wrote was supposed to be about the kamaka 100th anniversary ukes. Not MBU's, which are worth every penny--they are totally different bc they're not just amazing ukuleles from an acoustic standpoint, but they are legitimate works of art. Also, i feel like i've pretty much tried everything at this point, and for me, MBU is the best hands down, even if you're closing your eyes. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
I admit that I have no personal experience with MB ukes and customer service does mean a whole lot to me so that's great to hear. And like you say different strokes. I am just always geared towards plainer instruments where almost all the $ is towards the build, sound, and specs I want. Now I listened to the videos and they do sound really great. I am just curious what a less adorned 7k MB uke where none of the cost is going towards the beautiful (but time consuming which means $) inlays would sound like. Or even more curious about a MB $2.5-3k uke with no bling
For example If you look at some of the best classical guitar makers in the past 150 years. Other than Torres, the ones whose work has really become world renowned are usually the plainer designs where they have created something vastly superior or groundbreaking in terms of sound and or tone.
Sorry if that got off track, anyways congrats to whoever gets these. I really hope they get played!

I would also get a less adorned Moore Bettah if I were to commission one; stick a small flower on the headstock or something like that. There was one Moore Bettah for sale (used) on Ukulele Friend, not very ornate, about like the typical Ko'olau custom. That was $5000. I also think Moore Bettah ukes sound fantastic, I just don't see how I personally can justify the price. But others have different priorities and budgets. I want to take a vacation to Italy with my family; that could easily run the price of a nice custom uke, whether it be from Chuck Moore or someone else. Different strokes.

If I had the money, I'd try to buy it. I actually started a "Chuck Moore Uke" savings account, but it'll be years yet before I can afford one.

Here's the thing... It's alot of money.
But... it's one of very few ukes, that you can buy, and be pretty confident you can resell later for at least what you paid as long as you don't damage it and the auction doesn't go completely crazy, which.. Im guessing it could because there are people that have alot of money.

That there is an investment.. and it seems like both a safe and very enjoyable one.

If you think it's not a good buy, don't buy it.
But personally, I think it is.. unless the price goes insane.

I agree with Hodge that Chuck's ukes are worth every penny they sell for. My MB is simple and elegant but more importantly it is without question the best sounding and playing ukulele that I have ever owned.

Mitch

I can't afford a MB, but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could. In my opinion, MB ukes aren't just instruments. Each one is a one-of-a-kind, commissioned piece of art. What the buyer pays for is Chuck's unique artistry. The level of detail and beauty in Chuck's inlays is astounding, and I think his heavily inlayed pieces are the most stunning. He uses unique materials and obviously puts a lot of thought and time into his designs. The fact that his instruments sound incredible is an added bonus. I have never seen or heard one in person, just in videos, but I am so impressed by his work. Are they worth $8-10K? I don't know, and I probably say that because I know I can't afford one and am just as happy with a significantly cheaper uke. But... I certainly think his inlay work is above and beyond anything else I've seen on a ukulele, and is worth a *lot* of extra money.

It's interesting to read this thread and sort of compare the responses to those in the Kamaka anniversary uke thread mentioned upstream; some of those responses mentioned the belief that production Kamakas were already way too spendy! And that's just chump-change compared to the prices we're discussing here. Similarly, in another thread some months back I posted about an artisan who makes gorgeous handmade straps here in California that retail for somewhere around $50-$70, a lot of people were quick to remark that that was a steep price and that they would never dream of paying so much.

I don't own a MB and probably never will, since (a) it's way out of my budget and always will be, and (b) I'm very happy with my plain-Jane Kamakas. While I think the inlay work Chuck does is gorgeous, it's just not "me" - I'm much more of a blend-in than stand-out kind of gal. Like Laura above, the most I'd consider is a simple flower in the headstock - but I'd have to first win the lottery, and then (the hard part!) decide between a plumeria or a rose :)

That being said, what always gets me about these discussions is that I think our mass-produced, big-box-store, "MORE and CHEAPER!!!" culture has really desensitized people to the actual COST of things - and I don't just mean the price tag that gets scanned in the checkout line, I mean the cost of what goes into it (or for that matter, what *doesn't* go into it). Mass production has really made it hard for artists and craftspeople to make a living doing what they do well and love to do, and I think this is pretty tragic.

The positive thing is that thanks to mass production, there is something for just about every price range and taste. If one is satisfied with a Chinese-factory uke (or strap), that's great. If one is satisfied with a Hawaii-made production uke, that's great too. And if one can afford an MB without, say, getting foreclosed on or taking food from their kids' mouths or whatever, equally great. Is the latter worth it? I have no idea in terms of playability or sound, but as many others have noted, it's not just buying an instrument, it's buying a piece of art. And if I had the ability to support an artist whose works sell for those prices, no doubt I'd do it. Whenever it fits my budget, I will go out of my way to support handmade (as in the case of the straps I mentioned) if the craftsmanship is nice enough to warrant it.

If you really love it and want it and can afford it then it is worth it. Be it a $1,500 pen, a $5,000 painting or a $10,000 ukulele. There are a lot of wrist watches that cost much more than an MB.

I can't afford a MB, but I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could. In my opinion, MB ukes aren't just instruments. Each one is a one-of-a-kind, commissioned piece of art. What the buyer pays for is Chuck's unique artistry. The level of detail and beauty in Chuck's inlays is astounding, and I think his heavily inlayed pieces are the most stunning. He uses unique materials and obviously puts a lot of thought and time into his designs. The fact that his instruments sound incredible is an added bonus. I have never seen or heard one in person, just in videos, but I am so impressed by his work. Are they worth $8-10K? I don't know, and I probably say that because I know I can't afford one and am just as happy with a significantly cheaper uke. But... I certainly think his inlay work is above and beyond anything else I've seen on a ukulele, and is worth a *lot* of extra money.

My sentiments exactly. If I was playing professionally, I'd do whatever it takes to get one of Chuck's ukes. An ukulele worth a tenth of that would tickle me pink, right now. But it ain't gonna happen on the wages of an LPN (Low Paid Nurse)!

Jane, I agree wholeheartedly with you too, dear....

Top Bottom