Cordoba mini - can I use any classical guitar strings?

sirwhale

Reaction score
So that's my question, which strings can one use on a Cordoba mini? Do they have to be special guitalele strings?

The minis require ball ends.

I'd also like to play in standard guitar tuning (E instead of A), where can I find strings for that? The aquila set mentioned on their website only seems available to buy from Cordoba, and I live in Europe.

Thanks

Last edited:
Most often they'll be the exact same strings, just cut different lengths and in different packages.

That said, since the Cordoba mini is recommended for A tuning, is a short scale and uses ball end strings, it may be a bit trickier to get you the exact set (especially since the Aquila sets don't list the gauges used). If you have access to a micrometer, you can easily find out the string diameters and then make a set.

It would be a bad idea. I used to try regular guitar strings on a Requinto - which is a Mexican guitar tuned A-A like the Micro. They just could not be tuned to A, and if tuned to E were too floppy. Tuned to A the A string would always break very quickly.

Most often they'll be the exact same strings, just cut different lengths and in different packages.

That said, since the Cordoba mini is recommended for A tuning, is a short scale and uses ball end strings, it may be a bit trickier to get you the exact set (especially since the Aquila sets don't list the gauges used). If you have access to a micrometer, you can easily find out the string diameters and then make a set.

It would be a bad idea. I used to try regular guitar strings on a Requinto - which is a Mexican guitar tuned A-A like the Micro. They just could not be tuned to A, and if tuned to E were too floppy. Tuned to A the A string would always break very quickly.

You definitely don't want to tune a set put together for E-E tuning up a fourth, for sure. As for being "floppy," that's really up to personal preference.

I'm looking at the Requinto gauges of strings at A-A pitch (and the corresponding tension chart), if the OP found a set of classical strings with something close to .028-.034-.040 for the trebles and .030-.036-.043 for basses (which I think is high or hard tension, depending on brand), you'll be in the ballpark.

I have checked Southcoast but didn't see anything.

The minis require ball ends. If I bought the D'Addario Pro-Arté EJ44LP would I be able to tie them in a not and put a ball on the knot? Would this be ok with the wound strings?

The minis require ball ends. If I bought the D'Addario Pro-Arté EJ44LP would I be able to tie them in a not and put a ball on the knot? Would this be ok with the wound strings?

Short answer: yes, you can tie them in a knot and put a ball on it.

Short answer: yes, you can tie them in a knot and put a ball on it.

Doesn't that crush the wound wires in the knot making them break?
I was told decades ago not to try classical strings in a steelstring/bridgepin guitar because "you can't knot a wound string". (sounds like a double negative :D )
Was that wrong advice?

Doesn't that crush the wound wires in the knot making them break?
I was told decades ago not to try classical strings in a steelstring/bridgepin guitar because "you can't knot a wound string". (sounds like a double negative :D )
Was that wrong advice?

It doesn't crush the wound wires, but on heavier strings definitely isn't easy to do (I've had to do it on a couple of .055 gauge classical strings to try them out).

It's not ideal, but it will work fine.

Thanks for the replies :)

These have the highest tension of the daddario classical strings:

EJ46FFPro-Arté Carbon, Dynacore Basses, Hard Tension

Should be fine with these, yeah?

I use classical guitar strings on my Guitaleles to tune ADGCEA.

No problems!

The problem is, I want to tune to E, so I'm looking for the right strings to get enough tension when tuning 5 semitones lower. I've bought the highest tension strings that Daddario do - the carbon set. I'll let you know how it gets on, once the guitar and the strings arrive.

The problem is, I want to tune to E, so I'm looking for the right strings to get enough tension when tuning 5 semitones lower. I've bought the highest tension strings that Daddario do - the carbon set. I'll let you know how it gets on, once the guitar and the strings arrive.

I tried the EJ46LP 'Extra Hard Tension' on my Yamaha Guitalele, which has a 17" scale length, and tuned EADGBE, and even still the strings were a bit too floppy for my liking. The intonation was way off due to the strings being so slack as well. However if I used Terz tuning, GCFBbDG, which is a minor third up from EADGBE, the tension was better. In the end, I went back to the Thomastik-Infeld CF128 chrome polished flatwound classical strings, tuned to ADGCEA and resigned myself to stay with that tuning on the 17" scale.

A reminder: the Córdoba Mini is not tenor uke/guitarlele scale, it's baritone scale (20").

Yes, thank you for the reminder for others.

This is exactly why I mentioned the scale length of the Yamaha guitalele, such that others realize that while similar concerns have existed for 17" and 19" scale lengths guitalele/guilele with regards to strings tuned EADGBE, which are discussed AT LENGTH here on UU.

The Cordoba Mini, is one of MANY in a long line of less-than-full-scale 6 string instruments without doubled courses of strings.

As per Wikipedia, 'standard' nylon string classical guitar has a scale length of 650 mm (25.6 inches).

The EJ46FF Pro-Arté Carbon, Dynacore Basses, Hard Tension have a total tension of 102.6 lbs (on 25.5inch scale)

The EJ46LP 'Extra Hard Tension' have a total tension of 90.7 lbs (on 25.5inch scale)

With an extra 3 inches of scale, compared to the Yamaha, and an extra 10 lbs of tension, I'm optimistic. I'll let you know when both the guitar and the strings arrive.

Hi
Mimmo of Aquila here.
these strings are designed just for the Mini. In other words it is not possible to replace the strings, both in A as well as E tuning, with standard classical guitar strings. the tension became or too tense or too slack in the case of the stsandard E tuning
I will take care of this problem ( Mini strings available in EU also) . Monday I will contact the Cordoba headquarter and find out some quick solution for you guys.
Thake care
Mimmo Italy

Hi Mimmo, where can they be bought in the EU?

I can confirm to the rest that you can just tie a knot in the strings and add a ball on top. I've just tried the daddario carbon hard tension strings; the strings with the highest tension and they are just a bit to floppy at standard tuning. Tuning up a semitone to F makes them acceptable, but still, I'd like to try other options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom