electric semi solid tenor ukulele, my first instrument build.

CalvinKlown

Reaction score
I have to do work experience for a music course I am on, so I decided to spend the time at a Luthiers making myself an uke. Here is a photo of my progress so far. Front and back cut from the main block, I also have sides cut and am currently working them through the thicknesses sander. more. pictures later today.

DSC_0056.jpg

Last edited:
The sides and front and back at the right thickness. And an overview of what it will hopefully turn out like. I'll be cutting down a strat trem as there won't be enough room for a Bigsby and I'd rather have adjustable bridge saddles.

DSC_0060.jpgDSC_0061.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you picked an easy model!!!!!!!! LOL

And I thought I was taking on a project by just adding a preamp to my ukes. Nice work, anxious to see the finished product.

Calvin, let me make a quick suggestion for inserting photos, be sure to hit one or two more carriage returns before you insert the photo, that way the photos will be below the text and not mess up the paragraph. Like this.

McCabe's bridge.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_0063.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, not much to report, too busy thicknessing neck blanks for Robert Johnson replica guitars to work on my uke. Still, managed to cut the neck and headstock blocks out. Looking forward to getting more done on Monday.

I've been busy making fretboards so still not much done. Still shaping the sides, but it looks a lot more like an ukulele now.

DSC_0073.jpg

Bit more to report, added a piece of cedar to the utilly body, then when that was dry, cut my sides into the body, and while that dried, added the curfing to both sides.

DSC_0074.jpg
DSC_0077.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg

I have to say the last picture totally baffles me. It is like some sort of Escher picture. Can't make heads or tails of it or what is going on, but I definitely have clamp envy. That's a lot of little spring clamps.

Thanks for the encouragement and the comments, sure it does look a bit crazy covered in clips. Sorry if I'm not more descriptive, but trying to keep this updated whilst on a phone using various pub's free Wi fi is a major test of patience and Calmness. Honestly, what I have to go through to post these pics would try the patience of a saint. Thanks everyone for looking.

Anyway front is on, frets cut, including a zero fret, tremolo cavity roughed out, and looking forward to finishing it within a week or so.

DSC_0079.jpg
DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0082~2.jpg

Last edited:
Really got on with it since the last post. Drilled out the pickup cavities attached the pickups to their respective covers, mounted the tremolo, fretted the finger board, added the dots,and glued it to the neck. Sanded the excess from the top, glued in the neck, and am nearly done carving the neck.

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 28
Sanded the neck more, installed tuners, carved nut, cut access panels in the back, glued back on, doing wiring and maybe varnish tomorrow.

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

dang, that's a really nice work you've done so far. Im guessing from the bridge youll be using steel strings. what guage will you be using and will the neck be able to handle the tension without carbon rod?

I'm guessing it will be ok. I've made the neck 28-30mm without the fretboard, and the wood is utilly mahogany so it will probably do. The Luthier I was working for said it didn't need a truss rod, and I trust him.

So, I finished the nut wired the pickups, and put on the pot knobs,just need to do a bit of sanding, staining, and varnishing.

DSC_0101.jpg

Top Bottom