I recently picked up a Cordoba CM15, and I'm absolutely in love with it...

amarguitar

Reaction score
I can't believe I've been missing out on ukes for my whole life.

I've been obsessively playing guitar & bass for nearly 20 years, so I really appreciate world class musicians as well as the high quality handcrafted instruments that they play.

If any of you guys or gals have a spare minute, would you mind chiming in with your responses to my questions below:

• Who are the uke players that really knock your socks off?
  • What are your go-to online resources for learning playing technique and/or how to play different songs?
  • What acoustic/electric uke brands should I look to invest in if I want high performance & recording quality?
  • Should I think about investing in one uke of each size first? Or rather buy one or two high quality ukes to start off with?

Hi, welcome to UU, and UAS (which it sound like you already have)! Congrats on your Cordoba, that was my 1st real uke.

James Hill, the late John King, Craig Chee, Sarah Maisel....to name a few.
I just watch a lot of You Tube videos, and use the tabs files here. Playing with better players helps a lot.
There are lots of good ukulele brands out there, your choice will be a personal thing. I upgraded from a Cordoba to the Kala I still play. It fits in my budget. Lots of pre-amps to choose from too. Someone else may know what's best.
I tried each size. The concert works best for me, I don't need another size. But here again, that's a personal preference. Try them all before investing lots of dough. Some people have two sizes, some more.
Good luck, keep us posted!

Greetings and welcome. Uke clubs, uke shops and music stores (depending on availability) are all good places to see and try different sized and styled ukes. I too am a concert fan, but also have some soprano's and tenor's that I play. Lots of old posts on UU covering all areas that you are interested in. don't forget o use the search feature. A lot of the quality issues that you are already familiar with regarding guitars and basses apply to the uke as well.....size, tonewood, construction, setup, string choice, pickups, etc. etc. Insight into them will grow as your knowledge and understanding of ukes increases. Don't overlook Google and Youtube. Here's one example: https://www.google.com/#safe=active&q=ukulele+for+guitar+players
and https://www.google.com/#safe=active&q=youtube+acoustic+electric+ukulele

Last edited:
Top Bottom