Ukulele Strap

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
To those of you with hard cases. What the heck does one do with the Uke strap? It's in the way no matter where I put it.

Boy! If it ain't one thang, it's a nuther! :eek:ld:

Probably no help to you, but - my cases have enough room that I'm able to sort of wrap it around the headstock without any problems. I know this isn't always the case, though. I have a friend who removes the strap from the button, keeps it tied to the headstock, and sort of coils it beneath the headstock in the case. This didn't work for me though - so I guess it depends on the uke, the strap, and the case.

I just take my strap off. I actually don't use a strap that often, but once in a while I think that I need one. But I had an old hippie strap that had a couple of brass rivets on it, and I scratched my new Mainland putting it into the case with the strap on it. So I got rid of that strap and bought a new one without rivets, but I still take it off before putting the uke in the case. To me, it just isn't worth it to jam it in there.

I just take my strap off. I actually don't use a strap that often, but once in a while I think that I need one. But I had an old hippie strap that had a couple of brass rivets on it, and I scratched my new Mainland putting it into the case with the strap on it. So I got rid of that strap and bought a new one without rivets, but I still take it off before putting the uke in the case. To me, it just isn't worth it to jam it in there.

Thanks all. I thought someone would say "take it off". I, of course, thought of that, but tried to ignore the thought. My strap attachers are tight and a pain to remove.

Ahhh, well . . . So it goes. :eek:ld:

On one of my ukes I have a thin leather mandolin strap (without buckles or rivets) that fits in the hard-shell case without removing it from the strap buttons. Others have wider straps that I have to remove. I find that frequent removal and re-attachment of the straps has softened the holes so that they're not as secure a fit as they were when new.

I find that frequent removal and re-attachment of the straps has softened the holes so that they're not as secure a fit as they were when new.

There are these little rubber gaskets that work perfectly for this - I get mine on ebay, look either for "guitar strap lock" or "grolsch gaskets" and you'll see different colors and sizes.

I think maybe I'd be better off with a gig bag. I don't travel much or far anyway, but it'd be nice to keep a Uke in. :eek:ld:

What you need is a case for your case!!!!! LOL, a bag with a large accessory compartment...

If I'm storing my uke in its hardcase then I'll take the strap off but if I'm coming back to it several times throughout the day then I'll just leave it strapped but placed on a uke stand.

Mine goes in a neoprene pouch from the Dollar Tree - found it in their "electronics" section. Then, it gets stuffed in the handle.

Attachments

• Oahu strap solution.jpg
    Oahu strap solution.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 30
But . . ., you have to take it off the Uke! I think I need to trim the home-made attachment buttons down. Then the strap won't be such a hassle to remove. I guess, taking it off is the answer--Ahhh, me!
:eek:ld:

On ALL of my ukes, I use a length of black 4mm paracord (typically about 44"). One end is tied to the headstock, around the neck, just behind the nut, and the other end is tied (through a loop with a slipknot for adjustment) to the endpin.

When the instrument goes in the case, I lay the 'strap' along side the neck, and allow the excess length to fall in the cavity where the headstock goes. I leave the paracord always tied on. Case closes easily.

One of my pet peeves is having a fat strap that is typically meant for a heavier instrument, that feels bulky, cumbersome, and to weigh more than the uke itself, when EVEN on a baritone, it feels WAY overkill to me. Even Mandolin or Banjo straps are at least 1" wide, which to me is still too fat and bulky for my liking. Other types of straps are always a distraction for me. I prefer the 'strap' to be completely out of the way, both physically and visually, and the paracord is the best solution I've found yet for me.

The paracord never 'slips' when in use, unless I want it to, nor does it cut in to my neck or shoulder as one might think (even if I am only wearing a t-shirt), as ukes do not usually weigh enough for this to happen.

I've tried them all. The paracord works for me, and it nicer looking than a shoelace, which I found that the shoelace actually DOES cut in to my neck as shoelace tends to flatten out from tension, but the 5mm paracord does not. YMMV.

Just my :2cents:. :)

Last edited:
I use a Neotech mando/ukulele strap and attach it to pins on the heel and end of my ukes. It is very narrow, except for a shoulder pad that is very comfortable. It comes with two leather tabs that attach to pins, and a cord that goes round the headstock in case that is the players preference. Those pieces have quick releases that connect or disconnect the strap. So I can easily remove the strap leaving the tabs in place. It is quite a clever arrangement, and the strap is not bulky. I liked it so much I bought a second one and installed a set of pins in my concert uke too. Cost is about 16 bucks on Amazon.

Hi, Booli, I have a cord, thicker than paracord, on one of my Banjoleles, and it works well. However, Banjoleles are heavy, and the cord does dig into my shoulder. That's why I don't use a cord on my banjo or my other banjolele. I really think, for my usage, a gig bag would be more practical than a case since I don't travel that much.

I guess taking the straps off to use the cases is the answer, but thanks all for the input. :eek:ld:

I use a Neotech mando/ukulele strap and attach it to pins on the heel and end of my ukes. It is very narrow, except for a shoulder pad that is very comfortable. It comes with two leather tabs that attach to pins, and a cord that goes round the headstock in case that is the players preference. Those pieces have quick releases that connect or disconnect the strap. So I can easily remove the strap leaving the tabs in place. It is quite a clever arrangement, and the strap is not bulky. I liked it so much I bought a second one and installed a set of pins in my concert uke too. Cost is about 16 bucks on Amazon.

Hi, Booli, I have a cord, thicker than paracord, on one of my Banjoleles, and it works well. However, Banjoleles are heavy, and the cord does dig into my shoulder. That's why I don't use a cord on my banjo or my other banjolele. I really think, for my usage, a gig bag would be more practical than a case since I don't travel that much.

Were I to put a strap on a heavier instrument such as a banjolele with all that metal hardware, and thus the weight, my first choice would be to get a Uke Leash, with the 'banjo strap' tie-on attachments for each end of the strap, which have a quick-release plastic clasp that you can disconnect from the main strap at either tied-on end, and then as needed to fit in the case, I'd roll up the length of the strap toward the headstock and stow it under the headstock in that cavity.

For me, I'd prefer to give my sheckels to a fellow UU member, namely Lori Apthorp who is the inventor and seller of the Uke Leash.

http://ukeleash.com/

Last edited:
I have no trouble with a strap and hard case. In the first picture the uke has a 1" strap that I leave attached at both buttons, strap runs under the bottom of the body and neck.

Second picture that uke has a 1-1/2" strap which I leave attached at the bottom. I disconnect from the heel of the neck and roll up the excess length and it is placed under the the headstock. All my ukes have straps and hard cases and this system works out very well.

20150710_054954.jpg20150710_055059.jpg

Last edited:

This is what I also have. plus I use the Fender Strap Block to retain the tabs on the pins. £3 for 4, 2 red and 2 black. Strap Blocks will not work, at least for me, when the pin is also the jack socket.

h

I have no trouble with a strap and hard case. In the first picture the uke has a 1" strap that I leave attached at both buttons, strap runs under the bottom of the body and neck.

Second picture that uke has a 1-1/2" strap which I leave attached at the bottom. I disconnect from the heel of the neck and roll up the excess length and it is placed under the the headstock. All my ukes have straps and hard cases and this system works out very well.

View attachment 81390View attachment 81391

Yours doesn't seem to have the big, useless accessory box right in the middle of it. Mine has a fitted trench on top where the uke's neck goes, and the strap doesn't really fit there. And the bottom part where the pot goes is a very tight fit--no room for a wadded up strap either.

I guess I'll have improve the straps' attachment to banjolele/banjo so I can release it easier. Somethin' ta do. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom