Help with Leonardo Nunes Uke

pmcw

Reaction score
I'm hoping that some of the experts here can help me gain a better understanding of the Ukelele I discovered while cleaning my mother's home, and if possible, give me a rough estimate of its value.

There are two narrow cracks towards the bottom that I've tried to show in one of the pictures. I don't know if they affect the sound, but to my ear the tone is beautiful.

The finish is much more even than the pictures seem to show (I think the flash causes some reflections and makes it appear dirty). I also have a felt case that has two interesting brass and black snaps showing a picture of a lion's head and saying "made in Chicago."

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

IMAG1395.jpgIMAG1396.jpgIMAG1397.jpgIMAG1398.jpg

pmcw, there is a UUer--names StevePetergal--who also owns a Leo Nunes. Last I knew, he was having it restored. He is a swell gentleman, and will give you an honest opinion of that uke (since he owns it) and might even have an inkling as to value. Feel free to UU search him and PM him if he does not see this thread--one better, here's his profile link (if it works).
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/member.php?29641-stevepetergal

Pretty uke you have there. And I like your granite countertop. Uba tuba, methinks. lol

uba-tuba.jpg

Last edited:
tmp_2159-20150709_105714-1847992364.jpgtmp_2159-20150709_105728-1275195658.jpgI
I'm hoping that some of the experts here can help me gain a better understanding of the Ukelele I discovered while cleaning my mother's home, and if possible, give me a rough estimate of its value.

There are two narrow cracks towards the bottom that I've tried to show in one of the pictures. I don't know if they affect the sound, but to my ear the tone is beautiful.

The finish is much more even than the pictures seem to show (I think the flash causes some reflections and makes it appear dirty). I also have a felt case that has two interesting brass and black snaps showing a picture of a lion's head and saying "made in Chicago."

Had a uu member here selling one for about 1300 about 6 months ago.. I feel the market has dropped and softened since then. You have to find a right buyer and collector for these. Your with the cracks I would pay myself 8 hundred. As collectors are looking for mint condition would pay more like 1500 tops to me
I have one in super mint condition, see above it may be a hard sell now

Last edited:
Thank you cool and mm for taking the time to respond. I've reached out to Steve via pm, and hopefully he'll share his thoughts when he has a chance.

Interestingly, after reading through this forum and seeing a number of videos that show the uke to be a much more versatile instrument than I had imagined, I'm thinking that I might use a portion of any money I might get from selling the Leonardo Nunes to buy a more appropriate uke for a beginner. So, if you happen to know anyone that might have an interest in the Nunes, please send them my way.

Thanks again!!

Buy a clip on electronic tuner, a song book with songs you like, a chord chart, and have at it. It is better to start on a good instrument as when you hit a chord right, you will be rewarded.
Keep on Strumming

you have an excellent uke there already. Perhaps just needs some cleaning up and new strings. Your mom provided you with a gift; to learn to play music on a wonderful instrument.

aloha , i have 7 Nunes ukes...4 Leonardo's, a Leo 8-string original taro patch, a Manuel, and a Richard, the grandson....your uke is nice,the cracks/grain splits are a minor issue,very repairable...keep it, and when you have played the uke for a while you will look back and be glad that you still have this one....a few pics, of a few nunes ukes....only allowed 5 pics IMAG1701.jpgIMAG1703.jpgIMAG1705.jpgIMAG1719.jpgIMAG1732.jpg

Leo, Manny and Dickie...! You are the Nunes king, toddir58. I have not heard of a person with more Nunie mojo than your collection. Bravo!

As Tom Walsh and the late John King have written the quintessential book on Martin, perhaps you should write it for the Nunies. Everyone forever would start their conversations with, "Well, according to toddir58, Dick Nunes was the first to use non-Koa fretboards to avoid finger divot wearing in 1909." That sort of deal.

Thanks for sharing your five photographs.

Last edited:
pmcw,
1913 appears to be his earliest copyright..oddly,though, he seemed to 'update' it every year for a while there..I've seen L.Nunes labels with copyrights of 1913, 1914, 1915 & 1916 ! The 1st 3 years it usually is on the paper label, whereas 1916 became part of the headstock decal.

It's usually difficult to put an exact date to most early Hawaiian-made* ukes, so L.Nunes at least gives you a timeline up to 1916, after which it's anyone's guess, as I've never seen a copyright date later than that year. I believe he closed his L.A shop around 1929.

Hope this helps a little,
Jeff
*I still think of L.Nunes ukes as 'Hawaiian', but that's just me.

Last edited:
Hi mm stan, I decided to sell my 1913 Leonardo Nunes Soprano. It is listed in the market place for $850 if you are interested. I would be glad to share more pictures and any personal information you would like to feel comfortable in dealing with me.

Leo, Manny and Dickie...! You are the Nunes king, toddir58. I have not heard of a person with more Nunie mojo than your collection. Bravo!

As Tom Walsh and the late John King have written the quintessential book on Martin, perhaps you should write it for the Nunies. Everyone forever would start their conversations with, "Well, according to toddir58, Dick Nunes was the first to use non-Koa fretboards to avoid finger divot wearing in 1909." That sort of deal.

Thanks for sharing your five photographs.

Aloha & mahalo for the kind words & support...I was scrolling through & saw this old post....I added more to my collection of Nunes ukes...got 2 Manuel Nunes 8-string Taro patch tenors & 2 Leonardo Nunes 6-string " Liliu" Sopranos now...and a very rare David Mahelona Violin uke...

I saw a very old Nunes ukulele in LoPrinzi Ukuleles yesterday, it was itty bitty.
Augustino had given it to Donna a while back....

Top Bottom