Inside out

Hluth

Reaction score
Here’s an easy way to get a beveled edge and purfling at the same time from the inside out. Make the first three pieces of the lining out of thin contrasting strips before installing regular lining. After gluing on the top, shave down the edge to reveal the purfling.

HAT1011a.jpg HAT1011b.jpg HAT1011c.jpg

Thanks for sharing.

Firstly, it good to see once again another example of your very clean work. The finished uke looks great.

It's an interesting way of building but I suspect some of us may not be able to achieve this result as well as you.

I'm assuming this a tenor with its bridge patch and 6 fans? How does it sound: is it bright?

You have some very interesting ideas Jerry. You need good control so as not to sand too far but I'll bet it makes the top more responsive.

I was surprised to find out how easy it was to maintain the width of the purfling line closest to the top. It does sound more responsive, but it's hard to say if it's because of the thinner top at the edge. Thickness where it joins the lining is just under .050" (see attached section drawing).

astyle_tenor_lining.jpg

I'm assuming this a tenor with its bridge patch and 6 fans? How does it sound: is it bright?

It is a tenor (17" scale length, 10" wide body). It has a "woody" sound typical of many all-mahogany instruments, but it's a little brighter than others I've built.

Wow, what a neat idea and what a beautiful instrument! It must have taken courage to attempt such an idea not knowing how it would turn out until such a late stage, or did you test it out on some scrap first?

Bob

I was surprised to find out how easy it was to maintain the width of the purfling line closest to the top. It does sound more responsive, but it's hard to say if it's because of the thinner top at the edge. Thickness where it joins the lining is just under .050" (see attached section drawing).

View attachment 81392

Very cool Jerry. Could also shape that edge with a different profile like maybe a recurve. Would give a carved top look perhaps, and still reveal the inlaid binding.

You are the leading edge brother!

kabosy1.jpgkabosy2.jpgtravelers.jpgThis was my take on the same idea from 30 years ago. In these cases the lining was solid walnut, made easy by the straight sides of the instruments. A router was used to cut the bevel that revealed the lining. These are two travel guitars and a kabosy, a strange instrument from Madagascar. The kabosy is made of spalted sycamore, and the guitars out of butternut/spruce.

Nice idea....especially if you want something different than the usual black-white combos out there. I like that white bridge and figerboard. Is it holly?

The revealed purfling frame fades to and equal perfect point on each side. Very well executed.

Super unconventional bridge patch, sizable bracing on the top and back, but still a very light weight, and responsive instrument. It's bright but has that mahogany warmth and I just love the tone Jerry.

'Super unconventional bridge patch, sizable bracing on the top and back, but still a very light weight, and responsive instrument. It's bright but has that mahogany warmth and I just love the tone Jerry. '

Thanks for posting, good to have an opinion on this uke, and to hear it.

I saw this uke and played it yesterday.....the tone is very nice......I never saw a uke where the sides and neck were one piece (2 halves) how did you do that.....pretty cool

Last edited:
Top Bottom