New Tony Mizen book on the way!

itsme

Reaction score
Just saw this cruising thru Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Romantic-Ukulele-Arranged-Performed-Songbook/dp/1495022544/

The Romantic Ukulele: Arranged & Performed by Tony Mizen A Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Songbook Paperback

The Romantic Ukulele is a collection of 22 beloved pieces from the Romantic Era arranged for the ukulele by classical uke player, Tony Mizen. This includes well-known works by Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Satie, Debussy and Chopin. All arrangements are for GCEA-tuning and feature ukulele tablature as well as music notation. A CD is included with beautiful performances of all the arrangements by Tony Mizen. Also included are playing suggestions for each of the individual pieces.
It's not quite out yet, but I put it on my wish list and will be checking regularly.

I know there are a lot of other fans of his "Lute to Uke" and "Baroque Uke" books here. I had no idea it was in the works so I'm stoked. :)

Is that GCEA as opposed to gCEA? Will definitely be purchasing if so...

Can't wait. Big Tony fan here, thanks for the heads up...

Will be adding that to my wish list as well! Thanks!

That's great news. I look forward to getting it ASAP. I absolutely love Mizen's other books. Now Mel Bay would do well to respond to it by commissioning Rob MacKillop to create a fingerstyle uke book also of 19th century music. I'm thinking of something like "20 Pieces from the Machete Manuscripts for the Ukulele".

Are you listening Mel Bay?

Now Mel Bay would do well to respond to it by commissioning Rob MacKillop to create a fingerstyle uke book also of 19th century music. I'm thinking of something like "20 Pieces from the Machete Manuscripts for the Ukulele".

Are you listening Mel Bay?
Did you forget about this thread? Because you posted in it.

I did offer this to Mel Bay, but they rejected it on the grounds that the uke requires a different tuning. The fourth string should be a low G, and you have to tune the first string down from a to g. This gives a tuning (from bass to treble) of GCEG.

Did you forget about this thread? Because you posted in it.

Thanks, but no I didn't forget. I'd like to repost the excellent response by @ubulele in that thread:

"Did you point out to Mel Bay that books on slack-key uke also require low G and use an even greater variety of tunings (including open G, aka "taropatch")? There are a LOT of low-G ukes around—as well as baritones, which can use the exact same tab, particularly for solo instrumentals. Slide uke also uses alternate tunings. Their reasoning seems out of touch with the uke community and inconsistent with prior publications. (Does clawhammer banjo ring any bells to them??)"

Luke El U, then perhaps you should start a thread to get people to petition Mel Bay to publish Rob MacKillop's book.

Hal Leonard publishes the Jumpin' Jim series, including the Mizen books.

So please don't derail this thread.

I have the other two Books by Tony Mizen and surely will get this one as soon as it will be available in Germany.(Though I'm not the world's greatest Rubato player and usually prefer music, where you can stick to one tempo like Renaissance or Baroque)

Luke El U, then perhaps you should start a thread to get people to petition Mel Bay to publish Rob MacKillop's book.Hal Leonard publishes the Jumpin' Jim series, including the Mizen books.
So please don't derail this thread.

We will let the moderators call the shots.

What makes Mizen's other books most interesting for me is that so much of the material is based on other fretted string instruments (e.g. lute, guitar and mandolin). I'm hoping there might be some more of that in this new book because "Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Satie, Debussy and Chopin" didn't compose much, if anything, for such instruments.

Yet there is a lot of guitar and machete music written in the 19th century. Ondres Sarek arranged some of it nicely. At least one of Sor's exercises fits perfectly on a uke. A great arranger like Mizen could probably make Romantic era guitar/machete/mandolin music sound wonderful on the uke. Otherwise playing "Beethoven's 5th" or other classical hits on the uke sounds kind of silly to my ears.

Last edited:
Great news. It will be interesting to see how he manages the larger range of most Romantic repertoire in two octaves.

Oh my... I agree! Satie alone is worth it.

Sounds like its tuned with a high g; a low C is the lowest note played.

And yes, Mizen plays this very beautifully on the uke.

Thanks for the heads up itsme. Looks like a wonderful book. Somehow I've missed Tony Mizen completely until now.

Top Bottom