My Martin came home to me...

Pippin

Reaction score
A few years ago I sold my Martin guitar when I needed some fast cash. Well, that buyer, a close friend of mine, recently bought my Masterbilt DR500mens dreadnaught guitar. I sold it because I wanted to get something smaller. Well, a few days ago, Jerry (the buyer) called me and said that every time he picks up that Martin I sold him, he says "This is Mick's guitar" and remembers that I played it on my wedding day when I sang my song, Loving You, for my bride. He remembers all the songs I wrote with that guitar, and he told me that he is "giving" it to me - it's rightful owner as far as he was concerned. Jerry said he didn't want any money. I just had to promise that I'd never sell it again, and never give it away to anyone.

I agreed... and here is my Martin:

mick_jerry.jpg

That's me on the left. That is Jerry on the right with one of his Ovations.
What a great friend... one of a kind.
BTW... Jerry was "Best Man" at my wedding. My wife got all misty-eyed when she saw me playing the Martin again.

Last edited:
What a great story and friend!
Last year, I got back one of my old ones I always missed. A 70's Yairi, beat to death that I sold to a friend about 12 years ago and it finally came home:>)

Today is Friday, April 10, and I will be starting a new recording project and using the Martin along with a bunch of ukulele. When I get some final mixes together, I will post some links.

That's the sign of a true friend, Mickey. He felt the soul of your guitar and knew who the rightfull owner was. it's a modern day "Sword in the stone" story (I'm sure there's a song in there). Ric

That's the sign of a true friend, Mickey. He felt the soul of your guitar and knew who the rightfull owner was. it's a modern day "Sword in the stone" story (I'm sure there's a song in there). Ric

Good Idea Ric!

I might have to think about that one.

Wow. Great story! It's good to have friends like that.

I'm digging that picture too. Totally sweet B/W picture. And I sort of want one of those ovations now, to match my Ovation uke...I think I'll resist just by selling the uke. :)

Top Bottom