Uku research for new purchase

Thymej

Reaction score
Uke research for new purchase

What woods, models, etc. should I be look at (researching) if I want a tenor uke that is not as mellow as mahogany, and not as bright as spruce.

Last edited:
What woods, models, etc. should I be look at (researching) if I want a tenor uku that is not as mellow as mahogany, and not as bright as spruce.

It would be helpful to know what your budget is for this new purchase. In advance of knowing your budget, I think the Romero Creations Mango Grand Tenor at HMS sounds fantastic and is a very nice buy at $899.

I think my Kala solid cedar top acacia koa body sounds great, not too bright, not too mellow. It runs around $250-$380US depending on the model, great value. (BTW, the most common abbreviation for ukulele is uke, but my acacia koa ukulele from China is actually labeled "Uku" on the headstock.

I edited it, thanks for pointing out the proper abbreviation.

Mahogany and spruce are pretty much the extremes of the common uke tonewoods, so pretty much every other tonewood falls somewhere between: koa, acacia, mango, cedar, myrtle, cocobolo….

As a general rule, softwoods tend to make for brighter sounding instruments than hardwoods but even so, it depends on the maker. My Bruko ukes are all hardwoods but are still very bright because that is how their instruments tend to be.

Top Bottom