can my screws be too tight?

remy

Reaction score
Hi all! I find I can't keep my ukulele in tune unless I tighten the screws on the tuners A LOT. But I'm wondering if that will cause the wood to deteriorate or something else bad to happen? Is this a bad idea to keep the screws really tight?

friction or geared tuners?

Friction tuners have screws at the ends of 'em, geared tuners don't. If you tighten the screws on the ends of the friction tuners too tight, they will be VERY hard to turn and may bite into the wood.

If you overtighten them there is a very real danger that you may break the plastic finger buttons. They should be tight enough that the tuners do not slip, but not so tight that the tuners ar difficult to turn. Enough is enough.

Your uke should hold its tune during a reasonable playing session, but don't expect it to stay in tune for days on end.

Ukantor.

What brand of ukulele do you have? I'm assuming friction tuners. Anyway, you probably own a low end instrument as most decent instruments have tuners that when adjusted proplerly will hold. I've seen many $20 hilo hattie specials with this same problem.

Top Bottom