Hello from Cajun Country

Reaction score
Hello from a newbie. I live in Southwest Louisiana (cajun country) and became aware of ukes around 2004 when my sister in law brought me an IZ cd back from Hawaii, knowing I love acoustic music. My wife and I went to Maui a few years later and I bought my first uke (Mele Mahogany Tenor), but my kids were young and I did not have time to learn.

Now at 50, my kids are grown and I have time so, I picked up my uke again and started playing. I just bought a Ko'olau T100 all koa tenor and am eagerly awaiting its arrival in a few days. I am looking forward to this journey. I am trying to find a teacher that actually owns a low G strung uke or any uke for that matter. :p

Right now I like to listen to Herb Ohta Jr, Brittni Paiva, and Benny Chong among others. I tend to lean toward Jazzy tunes and 60s,70s,80,s rock music arrangements on the uke. What a fun instrument! And what a great forum to learn more!

Welcome to the forum. I like the 50s, 60s, and 70s rock as well. Get a copy of "The Daily Ukulele." You will find plenty to keep you going there.

Hello from UK , I am a fairly long time Uke player who is dipping a toe into the bayou waters of Cajun music.....tricky stuff indeed, I am using a Castagnari 4 Voice single row melodeon........It is basically a Cajun Accordion made in Italy but probably not tuned quite like the Monarch and similar boxes....anyhow ,welcome aboard , Cheers

Jarvo

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome. How you'all are? Glad you joined us. I have a solid koa Mele tenor and love it. I have Southcoast light strings on it.

Top Bottom