Looks or Sound ?

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
For me , I have to first like the looks of a guitar or ukulele before
I will play it. Sound seems to come second for me.
Any other weirdos like me out there ?

Very interesting question because I have flip flopped both ways. I must like the sound to own it and keep it. I have bought on looks and expected a good sound because of the make but when it did not deliver it was sold.

That being said I am shallow enough to want to love the look of an instrument. It is part of the whole experience and if I really love the look of it I will grab it more often and play it more frequently.

Not proud to admit it but I am the exact same way. I have turned down or opted against good sounding instruments because I didn't like how they looked. But in fairness, I don't care how good it looks if it sounds bad. Like I wouldn't buy an instrument only because it looked good - its gotta sound good too.

Both. There are enough nice looking uke that sound good, that one does not need to compromise either way.

Playability and sound are first with me. I am always more attracted to a beat up player with a story than I am to looks even if the pretty one does sound good. I do not, however, like beat up instruments that are cracked or hard to play, they must only have cosmetic scars.

Both. There's no shortage of ukuleles that are visually pleasing and that also sound well. I'm not into too much bling, though, so I want something that looks good, but whose beauty doesn't distract from the inner quality, the sound.

I just need to "click" with an instrument. It's more than one thing that contributes to the appeal.

I'm wrestling with that right now as I look to buy a tenor. It's Cordoba 30 series vs Pono . I love the looks of the Cordobas, (especially the 35T) the Ponos are kind of simple and plain. The more I listen to sound samples, the more I'm starting to prefer Pono over the Cordoba though they both sound nice. The thing is, if you handed me the Cordoba and I wasn't comparing it to anything else, it would sound very nice and I'd enjoy it. The rub is, I already know the Pono is out there and it has a slight edge in sound that I like. Do I like the sound of the Pono more than I like the look of the Cordoba? I don't know.... Back to the ear buds and more sound samples! :cool:

'Ukulele = instrument = music = sound.

Uhh......why can't you have both? The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive of each other. They both hold the same weight for me along with playability, longevity and workmanship. If it sounds good but it's hard to play it won't get played. If it looks good but doesn't sound or play well then what's the point? If it looks like garbage it'll probably never be chosen for purchase in the first place. If the workmanship is poor or built improperly it won't be around long enough to play much music anyway. I don't think you can isolate one attribute from the others. You wouldn't choose a mate on one characteristic alone. (Well maybe you would but you shouldn't!)

Interestingly. I have just returned one of the best looking ukuleles I have ever had the pleasure of holding/playing.

Cosmetically, (and brand name) it was outstanding, it just didn't 'sound' right. Certainly more of a looker than a player. Mightily disappointing, but for such a high cost, I couldn't justify keeping it. I don't think I would 'love it'. or play it enough.

As yet, I havnt played a battered or boring looking uke that sounds great. So untill then, I can't comment that side Of the discussion.
In my opinion, looks are not everything, but.....oh I don't know!

I love admiring great looking ukes. If I had an unlimited uke shopping account, I would probably go for looks and sound. However, as I do have financial constraints, I go with the best sound and playability for my uke spending buck. So I have ended up with some great sounding and playing ukes with very little or no bling and that's just fine with me. Sound first, looks a distant second.

In my picture, it is a Bushman Jenny I used for a photo shot. It's used when playing with at least 4 other ukuleles in front of an audience. When playing at home or jamming I use one of my Martins or a hot rod (Modified) Regal. That being said, I rescue the broken or abused ukuleles that catch my attention. This restoration goes as far as my skills and time allow. I feel that if an instrument sound good and looks reasonable, the player will take care and pass on the love of it or the music.
"We are but a moment's sunlight fading in the grass"

Interesting question for me because I'm very particular about both. I like really plain, simple ukes, no inlays or bling, and I tend to think they consistently sound better than more tricked-out instruments. I wonder what I would do if I picked up a uke that I thought was garish and ugly and it turned out that it sounded stellar?? Until this happens, I'm not sure I can give an honest answer! :)

Upon reflection, though - I've never been drawn to even pick up a blingy uke and play it, yet I can't pass a plainer uke (Kamaka, Koaloha, Martin) in the shop without giving it a strum. So perhaps my honest answer is "looks"...

Last edited:
a tale of three ukes. Kamaka, Kanilea, Koaloha.
Kanilea-looks
Kamaka-looks and tone
Koaloha- best [to me] tone.
Kept the Koaloha, rehomed the others. they were all great ukes.

Sound/tone. I'm a rookie at uke, but was a musician years ago, and was taught by great musicians. I've seen instruments that looked like they came out of a bad pawnshop in the hands of pros who can make them move the earth. Unless there's something in the looks that actually contributes to the tone, is there for a functional reason, I'm not much interested. Maybe that's why I started with a Pono MT, just about the most simple looking thing, but I liked the sound. No bling, more sing, please.

i bought my first ukulele more on looks, as I knew I wouldn't play very well for a while. But, I still followed the advice here on the forums and got a solid top, so that when I did learn to play, it would sound good. I wanted something that I would want to pick up and hold. I got a Luna concert. Now I am a soprano person, but the concert was a good size to learn the basics.

I go for looks. Ain't no Uke gonna sound that great at my hand anyway. Still waitin' for my Blackbird or National steel, when I can play a little.

How can one buy a Uke for it's sound on line? :eek:ld:

Looks has made me buy, sound has made me sell.

Always sound for me. I still have a Lanikai lu21 that sounds like no other 21 that I have ever heard. Name on the headstock and looks are secondary to me.

Top Bottom