Difference in Phil Jones Double4 and BG75 bass amp

Patrick Madsen

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I've been looking at the PJ double 4 bass amp. There seems to be two designations; the Double4 and the BG75 which states it too is a double4.

Is the BG75 a newer model? There is a 5watt difference.

From what I could tell when I bought my D4, BG75 is their product number, as far as I know they're the same.

Thanks Mike I thought so too but some sites I went on had the two posted, same price but the BG75 being 75wts rather than 70. I'll contact Phil Jones Monday and check it out.

Yeah, Mike is correct; the part/model number for the Double Four is BG-75 and the PJB site confirms the 70w rating.

http://pjbworld.com/product_doublefour_spec.html

Just as an FYI, Phil is probably coming home from Summer NAMM, so he may or may not be in the office today (although I'm sure Freda is).

Did anyone get a chance to see the Quantum400 coming out or is out? If so, what are your thoughts on it versus the BG-75

I don't think it's out yet. I saw it and the Quantum800 at NAMM in January, but didn't have a chance to try either of them.

Thanks. I called the PJ Showroom on the Q400. He said it should be coming out around Thanksgiving. It'll be the same wattage but half the size of a Double4. Bluetooth will also be a new feature meaning you could play a song thru it and play the bass along with the song.

I'm having a hard time grasping to the concept of a good 75wt. bass amp being so small. Incredible stuff coming out now a days. So to wait for the Quantum to come out or get a D4 now is the question. I'm in no really big hurry but still the new bass amp syndrome is kickin' in.

You probably talked to Mike Albronda then, if you called the showroom. Mike is good people.

The Q400 is adorable; I got to hold one at NAMM and yeah, it's just adorable. You can play a song through the Double Four already, using the AUX IN and a 1/8" cord.

You will not be disappointed with either the BG-75 or the Q400. I've used PJB stuff for about five years now, and it's superb. It's hard to wrap your head around the concept of an amazing, sub-compact bass amp, but once you hear ANY of the PJB stuff, you're sold.

Wow, smaller and the same power! I've been toying with the idea of adding a powered speaker or second D4 to get more output, but size is an issue, so the Q400 would be a perfect choice to plug into the D4, or visa-versa, 140 watts and super compact. (I'm already thinking about a small gig bag that will fit both.)

I wrote Mike at Phil Jones re the differences between the Double 4 and Quantum 400 coming out. Here's what he wrote back. Will probably end up with a Double 4 but am concerned there'll be a price drop on the D4 when the 400 comes out. I wrote back on that concern and will wait for his response before making the decision.

From Mike: Thanks for your interest in our products. Based on the information you have provided. I would highly recommend you purchasing
the Double four combo. If your more in to classic rock and soul music, the double four provides more of a deep richer bass tone than the Quantum 400 combo. The real difference between the two is the speaker size. The Double four (2) four in speakers, and the Quantum 400 has 4 2.5 inch speakers. How this answers your question. Please feel free to call me if you have any questions.

That's an eyeopener. I definitely prefer a deeper sound. I actually tried the line out of my D4 to my Crate Limo, but that cut out the D4 speaker. Isn't that supposed to be the way to add one of the Phil Jones powered speakers?

It was an eye opener for me too Mike. From reading the reviews on here and the net, I think I'll order a D4 from PJB tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's an eyeopener. I definitely prefer a deeper sound. I actually tried the line out of my D4 to my Crate Limo, but that cut out the D4 speaker. Isn't that supposed to be the way to add one of the Phil Jones powered speakers?

You might have an issue with the D4. It shouldn't cut out the sound at all, since the LINE OUT is basically a straight signal for a DI box (which I've used in that capacity regularly). What input did you use on the Crate Limo?

And yeah, the Double Four speakers are based around Phil's Neo Speaker design which is a more traditional sounding speaker. The Quantum speakers look to be based more on Phil's Pirahna Speaker design, which I personally prefer for the attack and punch.

What input did you use on the Crate Limo?

It has two channels, I used the first channel that has both 1/4" and XLR connectors, I used the 1/4" one. At this point I'm not planning on using a second amp, it was just a casual test. So far, the D4 has plenty of volume for my gigs, plus I'm all ready to either patch into a PA or mic the amp with my own mic and 50 feet of XLR/1/4" cables.

On-Stage with amp & mic.jpg

It has two channels, I used the first channel that has both 1/4" and XLR connectors, I used the 1/4" one. At this point I'm not planning on using a second amp, it was just a casual test. So far, the D4 has plenty of volume for my gigs, plus I'm all ready to either patch into a PA or mic the amp with my own mic and 50 feet of XLR/1/4" cables.

If you used just the standard input on the Crate Limo, my guess is that you're going to have the same issue with the D4 cutting out if you use the line out to go to the PA. Does the D4 cut out with just a cable in the line out plug?

Another thought; did you use the D4/Crate Limo combo with the portable battery power or the supplied adaptor?

If you used just the standard input on the Crate Limo, my guess is that you're going to have the same issue with the D4 cutting out if you use the line out to go to the PA. Does the D4 cut out with just a cable in the line out plug? Another thought; did you use the D4/Crate Limo combo with the portable battery power or the supplied adaptor?

I used batteries for both. I'll have to run another test, but I discovered earlier that the cable I'm using for the Crate is having problems, need to pull out another one.

Well ordered the Double 4. Won't get it til the 23rd as it'll be a B'day present. My wife puts things like this up high so I can't snoop and find them. I used to be able to put my young daughter on the ledge to search thru the shelves but she grew up and starting siding with her mother about my snooping out the gifts.

Thank you guys for your help. I'm sure Mike will have no idea who "Bad Monkey" is cause I forgot your real name but told him you are the GHS social media Manager.. I'm sure this amp will work out fine for the stuff I do. I trust it'll be better than the Fender Rumble 30 I have now.

Thank you guys for your help. I'm sure Mike will have no idea who "Bad Monkey" is cause I forgot your real name but told him you are the GHS social media Manager.. I'm sure this amp will work out fine for the stuff I do. I trust it'll be better than the Fender Rumble 30 I have now.

Ha! It's Jon Moody; Mike and I have worked together for a bit, as I used to write press releases for PJB for a bit, and help with the NJ Showroom Facebook page.

Just tried out my Double 4 for the first time today. Not impressed by the volume at all. My Rumbler 30 wt. puts out three times what the Double 4 does. I'm going to send it back if possible. Real let down and thought it was too good to be true, seems it was.

Top Bottom