ukulele isnt tuning HELP !!!

kieranttt

Reaction score
ive heard you need to do the screws up but ive done that and its just not wokring they loosen up straight after HELP! they are friction tuners on a brand new cheap uke the uke sounds decent when its in tune but not for long

Last edited:
Are you using an instrument with new strings?

Do the tuners stick out like ears? (geared) Or stick back from the uke? (friction)
Did you "do the screws up" clockwise?

Is this an instrument which used to play well, and now sounds crappy? Or is it something new to you, and cost 20-bucks? Does it have a sticker with a palm tree on it? (Don't ask how I know that one will never tune.)

You might want to give the guys 'n gals something more to work with.

You have friction tuners, right? If tightening the screws doesn't work, you might need new tuning pegs. You can get higher quality ones for around $25 on ebay if you search "ukulele pegs". I hope that helps. Could you be a little more descriptive or make a quick YouTube video of the problem? From what I'm reading, that's what I would recommmend--new pegs.

they are friction tuners its a cheap one but it plays nice when its in tune yes a screwed them the right way id know if i didnt cause it would be super loose and its brand new

The tuners might not be slipping. It is normal for the strings to take some time to settle down on a new uke. Brand new strings can take up to a week before they start to hold tune. Don't OVER tighten those screws, it could cause damage. You should still be able to turn the tuners comfortably, without too much effort.

Ukantor.

Kieranttt:

Do all of the tuners slip?
Friction tuners should stay mostly in tune for a while... Did you change the strings? Either way, I'd figure you are the first one tightening the strings consistently so the stings might actually have to stretch... (Am I right folks?)

On the other hand, a cheap uke very often sounds cheap -- and there's not always a fix for that.

Lots of people will suggest Worth or Aquila strings as an upgrade. I'd start there. That's an extra 5-12 dollars where I shop. New pegs might run you 25 as you heard from Beta. Pretty soon you might see you're spending 35-dollars on upgrades when for the price of the cheap uke + upgrades you could have just about bought a used mid-range uke. (Just saw a Kala for sale near me for 50 on Craigslist.)

Did you keep the receipt?

Good luck with it. Sorry if I sounded snarky in my response.

Top Bottom