Tenor or Super Concert, Pups or No Pups.

Ivan M

Reaction score
In the market for my first higher end uke, was wondering on what others would consider. A tenor or super concert, I would like to get it with pups but was wondering how a super concert would sound with pups. I know the tenor will sound nice. I know I am getting a Koaloha my mind is made up and i will be ordering from HMS, please let me know pros and cons. I have been playing a kala concert and just got into ukes 3 weeks ago. I tried a few tenors at my local Guitar Center and loved the deeper sound.......Decisions, decision, decisions.

Absolutely no idea what Pups are.........other than very young dogs, sorry. Koalohas are great sounding ukes both the Tenor and super concert. I have played both and the tenor has a deeper more resonant tone because of the larger body, it's all personal preference.

If you like the sound of a tenor, go with a tenor and get the real thing. That's my 2 cents, at any rate. You can't go too far wrong with Koaloha and HMS, so you're on safe ground there. After playing my new tenor (Pono Pro Classic acacia) the concert is just sitting in it's case. By the way, HMS is about a week and a half behind right now on set-up (they set-up everything they sell, and they do it right). In other words, once you order you're going to have to wait a bit, but it's well worth it. Welcome to the neighborhood, by the way!

By the way, your original question never got answered -- regarding pick-ups and a super-concert. It's going to sound like an amplified super-concert in my experience. The piezos used in virtually all of the pick-up systems on the market respond to vibration from the surface they are mounted on. One of the reasons I'm not big on the under saddle bar type piezos is because they capture less of the body resonance being mounted so intimately with the saddle.

There is body resonance involved because it feeds back through the top plate, bridge and to the saddle. However, what you're hearing (through an under saddle pickup) is a mix of what's at the saddle with a minimal contribution of body resonance. This tends to make amplified ukes sound alike in my view.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Rob, tenor it will be. I may just get it without pick ups, when I order a different tenor down the line I may opt for pups then.

Top Bottom