Devine Ukes-or other Kasha ukes-> longer sustain???

chasapple

Reaction score
I have read recently about Devine Ukuleles and Roberts guitars/ukuleles who both use kasha bracing systems. They claim to have louder volume and longer sustain than traditional x-brace designs.

This is very interesting to me.

Does anyone here own a Devine uke or other kasha builder---and find that volume is truly louder
And sustain truly longer than a comparable x-braced model?

(Like comparing a Devine tenor to a k brand or mya moe, for example.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

Can't add too much except to say that X bracing is NOT traditional on ukuleles.

Oh, I did not realize that---thank you for pointing that out!

Perhaps traditional ukulele bracing techniques
stem from classical guitar design--I should read more about that.

I have two Devine ukes on hand (Both are Muse model).
For me, Eric's ukes are very comfortable to play and have a clear rich sound and tone.

He ever said his goal in building is sustain and balance. He builds for a slower and more melodic style of playing.
Compare to my other custom ukes, all of these custom builds have good sustain to me.
If I just only compare how long of sustain in my collections, I may say the longest sustain one is redwood/Ziricote Grimes uke.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

You have quite the collection of custom ukes listed in your signature-very impressive!!!

I have a African Blackwood and sinker redwood tenor uke I had built with kasha bracing....I honestly feel it has little effect on volume or tone I think that's more a function of the woods used. As far as sustain it would take a trained ear to tell if there's a difference between my kasha uke and my others its imperceptible to me.

I have a Kasha braced uke and several other styles. I can tell you that the biggest difference, in my opinion, seems to be:
1. Builder
2. Wood selection
3. Everything else

I also think there is a big gap between #1 and #2. Maybe my ear is just bad, or maybe people can get better response from a uke than I can. While Kasha has been scientifically proven to not work as Dr. Kasha said it should, I notice no real difference. I have played Devine Kasha ukes, they sound great.

So much of this is subjective, just play and enjoy. If you are buying a custom, find a builder you believe in and trust him or her.

Top Bottom