Repeated exposure

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was asked to sing and play in front of an audence yesterday at an outside party. Full stage and sound equipment, just had to plug in and play. This was just my second time playing solo in front of others. I picked a song I knew by heart and could sing and play in my sleep.

Kinda different in front of a group of strangers though. I was solid through the first 2/3 than I missed a chord progression, then I paniced and went brain dead. I had no idea what I was suppose to play next so I just kept singing and playing whatever chords my fingers fell upon. I never stopped and got through it with my heart beating out of my chest. Needless to say my voice deteriorated radidly towards the end.

Two things learned, at this stage I need to have the music opened up and on a stand just in case I loose my spot. We notice all our mistakes SOOOOO much more than others do. A friend in the crowd said I sounded good, just a little shakey at the end. Felt way worse.

This post was to exorcise some demons and to let other beginners know there is life after a sketchy performance. If it doesn't kill you...... it can cripple you.........but only if you let it. Just do it cause life is too short not to. I am performing tonight at an open mic, with a group and no singing for me, woohoo!! I do have a solo fingerpicking part, another first for me. Gotta get back on the horse

Dear Dave, .....we are always far more than any one moment in time..I salute you for bringing your passion for music to others. That is what an audience hears more than any individual note sung or played. Wish I could be there to hear you tonight!

"We are always far more than any one moment in time" .........thank you for that, it's brilliant. I might have to write that out and stick it in my uke case. I appreciate it brother, cheers

Last edited:
You've got so much more courage than I do -- grats, Dave!

Good luck tonight!

Good for you. I think that performing in public is just like anything else you learn. It never starts out really good. But just like everything else you learn, it gets better the more you do it. So I would say you are on the road to stardom now.

Good for you. I think that performing in public is just like anything else you learn. It never starts out really good. But just like everything else you learn, it gets better the more you do it. So I would say you are on the road to stardom now.

Thanks Rolli, I use you for inspiration. I am an avid golfer and shoot low 80s but it was not like that 15 years ago. I use to have the first tee jitters real bad now I am as comfortable there as I am at my kitchen table. Repetition is the mother of all skill. Maybe in 15 years I won't be so nervous up on stage :eek:

Last edited:
I look forward to hearing about how it goes tonight. I find myself a little envious that you get to go out and entertain people tonight. I wish that I was.

Think of the joy it brings to others. Most people know what it takes to step on stage. It is appreciated and remembered.

"We are always far more than any one moment in time" .........thank you for that, it's brilliant. I might have to write that out and stick it in my uke case. I appreciate it brother, cheers

Thanks, Dave!

(..... from a sister! :))

A number of you fine people wanted an update on the open mic performance. Although we were not as good as in our practice sessions I did nail my finger picking part which was at the very end of the song. I was as calm and relaxed as could be..........I think singing stresses my out :p

Thanks for your support it helps tremendously.

There is a friend on the boards here that is not doing very well, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We never know who's lives we can touch, even from afar and through electronic media.

Repetition is the mother of all skill. Maybe in 15 years I won't be so nervous up on stage :eek:
Repetition is the mother of desensitization. Ever read the book or see the film THE RIGHT STUFF? Note the scenes where astronauts are 'desensitized' to tedious, tiring, and humiliating routines. Public performance can be like that. Get up there, sweating profusely. Bomb. Bomb again. Repeat until sweat dries up, until it's just routine. Or, be like those performers who NEVER get used to it, who always puke before a show, but go on and do it anyway. And some self-medicate first. Yow.

Anyway, I'm glad you survived your performance ordeal. When will you do it again?

The more you practice bombing, the better you get at it.
I think of it as egg-laying. I derive that from the title of one of my standard references, a cherished book by Hermes Nye, emitted in 1965 by Oak Publications, titled:

How to be a Folksinger
How to Sing and Present Folksongs;
or, The Folksinger's Guide;
or, Eggs I Have Laid

Anatomically unlikely as it seems, I have indeed laid many eggs. All scrambled. Yow.

Repetition is the mother of desensitization. Ever read the book or see the film THE RIGHT STUFF? Note the scenes where astronauts are 'desensitized' to tedious, tiring, and humiliating routines. Public performance can be like that. Get up there, sweating profusely. Bomb. Bomb again. Repeat until sweat dries up, until it's just routine. Or, be like those performers who NEVER get used to it, who always puke before a show, but go on and do it anyway. And some self-medicate first. Yow.

Anyway, I'm glad you survived your performance ordeal. When will you do it again?

Depends.........are you refering to puking, sweating, bombing or desensitziting. I gave up "self medicating" five years ago. But thanks for asking about my "performance ordeal" :eek::eek:

Last edited:
Well, I'm proud to be your name-brother. You're a better man than I am, Gunga-Dave. And even if you don't get usta performing on stage, you'll still enjoy it.

Keep on keepin' on, Bro! :eek:ld:

Way to go, Dave! And thank YOU for being an inspiration to those of us who haven't played a uke in public yet!

Hey, Dave, have you thought about "Seasons of the Ukulele"? Going' on there might give you a wealth of experience, and I'm sure everyone participating knows how difficult it is to do it. It certainly might be worth your while.

Nothin' ventured, nothin' gained! :eek:ld:

Top Bottom