WTB/T Guitalele

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I can't find a dang Guitalele in the US - at least not a production model. :wtf:

Anyone have one gathering dust? I'll pay cash or consider trading my k-wave tenor if the models are comparable prices.

ChiyoDad ordered one from Canada and the contact info can be found here. Good Luck!

Oh man, I had wanted a Guitaralele at one point too.

They had the Yamaha ones in Tom Lee Music stores in Hong Kong (biggest music store chain in Southeast Asia), and I asked how much they were, expecting them to be $120 USD or so. They told me 240 HKD, which comes out to about $30 USD. I was pretty shocked, esp since Tom Lee has awful prices, especially for US instruments, which see markups on top of the already high MSRPs for Fenders and Taylors and Gibsons and what not. But that Guitarelele was the one well priced thing they did have. But I didn't buy it because it didn't come with a case, and I didn't quite want to have to lug it onto the plane. I sort of regret not buying it now. Oh well.

Best of luck on your search.

Oh man, I had wanted a Guitaralele at one point too.

They had the Yamaha ones in Tom Lee Music stores in Hong Kong (biggest music store chain in Southeast Asia), and I asked how much they were, expecting them to be $120 USD or so. They told me 240 HKD, which comes out to about $30 USD. I was pretty shocked, esp since Tom Lee has awful prices, especially for US instruments, which see markups on top of the already high MSRPs for Fenders and Taylors and Gibsons and what not. But that Guitarelele was the one well priced thing they did have. But I didn't buy it because it didn't come with a case, and I didn't quite want to have to lug it onto the plane. I sort of regret not buying it now. Oh well.

Best of luck on your search.

Crap - I was just over there in HK/Macau a couple of months ago. It never occurred to me to look for one there - I was pretty obsessed with getting a good deal on a new laptop (scored too) and instruments never crossed my mind.... 240 HKD!!! Darn it, could buy a handful and sell 'em here for that kind of dough:p. Not going back 'till next year at the earliest.

I, too, have been hearing call of the Guitalele for a while now. I've tried to buy several from europe but because of that recent merchant hacking (the one that jeopordized a bunch of CC#s) my card is on high security and I can't seem to get the order processed. I've found this though, sold in the US, a czech guitar manufacturer named Strunal sells multiple sized classical guitars, including 1/4 (guitalele size). There a bit more than the guitalele (though close with the reduced shipping cost), and while still laminate, I'm hoping for decent quality.
AG1-4-MAH-GLOSS_front.jpg

Heres the one at elderly, out of stock at the moment, but I paid for mine and hopefully they come in April 1st as expected. It was under 200

Heres the link: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AG1/4-MAH-GLOSS.htm

430mm scale length, so about tenor scale, laminate mahogany back and sides, lam spruce top. Not too shabby IMO I'll let you know how it is when I get it.

essentially yes, there all about the same, tenor scale 1/4 size classical guitars. Tuning would depend on the strings, since the czech model doesnt mention tuning there is a possibility that its tuned to a guitar, EADGBE with kindergitar strings from germany (1/4 scale classical strings, one way to get a guitalele in standard tuning) but otherwise the strings are usually regular classical guitar strings, tuned up a fourth (like capo'ing the fifth fret) like Ukulele, with 2 "bass" strings, ADGCEA (the D6 and guitalele). This is the same tuning as the mariachi requinto, a 1/2 size classical guitar a little bigger than a baritone uke.

hummmm is this the same idea as the Koaloha D6 its just a ukulele with 6 strings and tuned to a guitar.. ?
Actually, the guitarlele was out before the D-VI. KoAloha designed and built one for Daniel Ho and decided to make it a production model. The cost of a D-VI is about 1K+ and the guitarleles available on the market are under $500.

Actually, the guitarlele was out before the D-VI. KoAloha designed and built one for Daniel Ho and decided to make it a production model. The cost of a D-VI is about 1K+ and the guitarleles available on the market are under $500.

cool.. i was in the Koaloha Factory and got to play the D-VI and it sounded AMAZING! i remember that i played few other 6 string ukes here on the mainland.. and they sounded like toys.. i have never played the guitarlele.. but i know the Koloha is worth the cash.. if you got it!

d

more 1/4 sized guitar choices

Another site with the Czech Republic 1/4 size guitars, as well as some others...http://www.smallguitars.com/results.php?CategoryID=26

Anyone have one of those Strunals, how do they compare to Yamaha?

And then there's the Kanile K-1 Guitarlele MSRP $1295. Anyone know what the "real" take home price is on that? If you buy from the factory, are you paying MSRP?
http://kanileaukulele.com/custom_guitarele.php?osCsid=86379ace94a69d79eb3d47f4ff6259dc

Or how about the steel string "Octave Guitar"?
http://www.shop.com/Octave_Guitar-19992376-p!.shtml

–Lori

Yeah i found another place with Strunals in stock- meantone, and they have the student concert 1/4 size with solid cedar top for $166. https://meantone.com/Shop/SolidTopGuitars.shtml
I ordered it, and the gigbag, it came to less than $200. I let you guys know how they sound. Also anyone own a Requinto? those are the 1/2 size nylon guitars tuned up a 4th to ADGcea and i think there a bit bigger than a baritone. I found a cool acoustic electric cutaway for $225 with a solid top, seems like a pretty good deal.

Update: Got my strunal 1/4 size classical guitar in the mail today. If anyones looking for a guitalele IMO this is not much more for a solid cedar top instrument. I am comparing it mostly to my Lanikai O-8e 8 string solid spruce top tenor uke.

They are pretty similar in scale length, holding it nut to bridge the strunal is about 5-10 mm longer, which just means a bit more tension in the same strings and tuning. the body is a bit larger than than the lanikai, and while I don't own a baritone uke I imagine it to be a pretty similar body size, if maybe a bit smaller.

Strunal002.jpg

Strunal003.jpg

The guy who sold it to me said that it was tuned like a regular guitar, not ADGCEA so at first I thought maybe it came with a set of 1/4 size nylon guitar strings. But when tuning this up after getting it I stopped very briefly on E for the low string, plucked, felt the tension and the horrible buzzing hum of a wound nylon dropped way to low and quickly tuned up to G, then A. Great sucess. Plus you can tell by the wind job on the tuners that these are full size classical strings, which luckily come into guitalele/requinto tuning on this scale length (ADGCEA) which is what I was looking for. I may get 1/4 scale strings for EADGBE tuning, but if so that would be after I get a 4 string tenor. (8 string is great for chords, but doesnt cut it for solo stuff, so this little guy is great)

Like my Lanikai 0-8e, its a solid top tenor scale with laminate back and sides, slotted headstock and classical tuners. The Lanikai is Ovankal laminate back and sides with solid spruce top, the Strunal Mahogany laminate back and sides with solid cedar top. As you would imagine from the woods, and the larger construction of the 1/4 size classical, the Lanikai has a bright loud high reentrant tone, and the cedar has a mellow warm middle end tone, which when played with the lanikai seems rich and almost deep. They are comperable in looks but I must admit that I dislike a couple things on the strunal. The fretboard woodgrain is just wierd, as if it was milled at a wierd angle or left ruffed a bit so the saw marks show, and the bridge also. The tuner pegs at the top are cheap plastic looking so the tuners may be the first to go. All in all though, I'm pretty satisfied. The top 2 strings are clear nylon, the bottom 4 wound, but I may just swap out the top 3 for unwound aquila tenor CEA strings.

The gigbag that came with it looks cool, padded backpack style, will fit any tenor uke, which is a plus because I was using my Guitar Hero Guitar case up till recently, which has only one wussy pad in the middle (its made for 2 GH guitar controllers, but fits 1 ukulele) but unfortunately a strap clip on the backpack shoulder strap broke already. Good thing it has a lifetime warranty. And I have a different strap anyway I'll probably just use.

All in all I would say that is exactly the value and build quality that you would expect out of a ukulele in this price range, perhaps a little better, with a wide classical style fretboard and 2 "bass" guitar strings. As a guitar player turned Uke player, this guy is a must have for all my half-ukulele, half guitar songs that I couldnt figure out which instrument to play it on. The nylon strings allow me to bring my ukulele strokes into play and still have that full guitar chord sound of a classical, with the higher tuning syle of Uke. A set of 1/4 scale strings quickly converts this guy into probably one of the best travel guitars you could get for the money, Idk how "portable" some of those full scale small bodied travel guitars are, or how they sound but this intrument has a nice mellow tone, suprisingly deep.

Last edited:
Tangi makes one as well, since his shop is closing you may get a deal.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Guitarlele.jpg
    Guitarlele.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 283
great review on the Sturnal!

Vahn–
Thanks for the review! Very interesting. If anybody else owns a guitarlele, I would like to see their review too. I didn't realize you could get strings for tuning a 1/4 guitar to EADGBE. That is a nice option if it works!

I wonder how the guitarlele compares to the 1/4 size guitar? Can it also be strung to EADGBE? Is a guitarlele really a wide neck baritone sized uke, or is it closer to a tenor size? Speaking of baritone ukes, could they also be strung to GCEA with a low g?

Cheers,
–Lori

Vahn–
Thanks for the review! Very interesting. If anybody else owns a guitarlele, I would like to see their review too. I didn't realize you could get strings for tuning a 1/4 guitar to EADGBE. That is a nice option if it works!

I wonder how the guitarlele compares to the 1/4 size guitar? Can it also be strung to EADGBE? Is a guitarlele really a wide neck baritone sized uke, or is it closer to a tenor size? Speaking of baritone ukes, could they also be strung to GCEA with a low g?

Cheers,
–Lori

Lori, A couple answers that I could help with. You can find 1/4 size nylon guitar strings for 17", 440-450mm scales (tenor scale) Also it's worth mentioning to anyone that wants Baritone tuning on a tenor, that you can use the top 4 strings of this set for baritone tuning on a tenor (DGBE).
http://www.juststrings.com/lab-114.html?productid=lab-114&channelid=FROOG
Another thing I think would be interesing, for somone with an extra uke and a bass player friend, would be to string it with the bottom 4 strings, (EADG) for bass accompanyment without someone having to learn uke notes/chords. Of course, this would be in the guitar octave range, not bass, but its the equivalent to having someone play the basslines on guitar, which I do sometimes when jamming on ukulele.

Looking at Guitalele specs, it has a 17" 450mm tenor scale. I have seen a vid of someone playing guitalele in EADGBE tuning so those strings should fit no problem. Guitalele specs also show a overall lenth of 28.7" 73cmm, which would put it slightly longer than a tenor. Looking at everything I would say it is probably pretty close to my 1/4 classical, tenor scale with a larger baritonish body, for a slightly deeper than ukulele sound.

Heres some Baritone GCEA strings. I think they are low G but you can ask the seller at the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-BARITONE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

Last edited:

This is correct, but my Guitalele cost me about US$125 from Canada, shipping to California included and Canadian VAT waived.

Call Long & McQuade's per the instructions on my blog and check what they have in stock. They were the cheapest dealer that I found after calling several shops in Western Canada.

As for tuning to EADGBE, I haven't been satisfied with any of the strings for 1/4 guitars. The Guitalele either sounds tubby or the wound 3rd string gets annoying.

Good luck!

Top Bottom