Cool or Unusual Design Theme ukes

Doc_J

Reaction score
Had to start this thread off with a uke from Dave Means.
This was described as ' "Dead" on arrival.' A very cool uke (not mine).

wrighttop.jpg

wrightpeghead.jpg

wrighttail.jpg

wrightbears.jpg

Thought this 100th anniversary Coca-Cola uke by Mark Roberts was pretty cool too.
BTW it was presented by Coke to Warren Buffett.
e3dc7b_b003d5d27b0346d9997ef5864b1d2653.jpg_srz_p_346_462_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

604d.jpg

604b.jpg

buffett-sings-coke-hed-2015.jpeg

From the title I thought my mandolele would fit here, but seeing the types of ukes posted, maybe not. Custom made by Bruce Wei in Vietnam to my specs, solid acacia koa, gloss black finish, pearl binding, ebony fretboard and bridge, I added the chrome tailpiece and tuners.

Mandolele chrome.jpg

From the title I thought my mandolele would fit here, but seeing the types of ukes posted, maybe not. ...

While your mandolele is unique, it really isn't quite the kind of design theme I was hoping to see in this thread.

These customs from Dave Talsma are more in line with my thinking.

dq_md.jpg
creature_md.jpg
beatle_md.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I see what you mean. I have to get in touch with that guy and see if he can make me a u-bass like that Hofner. I've been planning to do one myself, but not as nice as his. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, I have my plans for building 2- and 3-necked 'ukes and banjo-ukes, but I haven't setup my workshop yet. Should I mess up a cheap soprano with funny decals and paint so I can claim it's a "design theme"? I should still have some Big Daddy Ed Roth stickers stashed away -- yeah, a Rat Fink 'uke, for sure...

Well, I have my plans for building 2- and 3-necked 'ukes and banjo-ukes, but I haven't setup my workshop yet. Should I mess up a cheap soprano with funny decals and paint so I can claim it's a "design theme"? I should still have some Big Daddy Ed Roth stickers stashed away -- yeah, a Rat Fink 'uke, for sure...

BTW the ukes I posted above weren't cheap sopranos with funny decals.

These were custom instruments planned and made by well-respected builders, expressing a design theme vision.
As with all art, you might like it or not like it.

Hmm.... a Big Daddy Ed Roth theme custom uke would be cool.

Last edited:
BTW the ukes I posted above weren't cheap sopranos with funny decals.
Sorry if I seemed to imply that they were. I can tell that those are all finely-crafted items. Love those GD inlays! I was just spinning my low-rent take on the design-theme subject.

Hmm.... a Big Daddy Ed Roth theme custom uke would be cool.
And more-or-less subtle. RAT FINK would be rather obvious; a BEATNIK BANDIT or MYSTERION 'uke would be awesome.

This one brings back fond memories of my childhood. Although I consider these "novelty" items I must confess I would own the robot model if it crossed my path.
(from celentanowoodworks on etsy.com)

il_570xN.204081452.jpg

Check out their Etsy store for lots of other unusual designs.
(I'm not affiliated in any way, nor have I ever purchased anything from them)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/celentanowoodworks?ref=l2-shopheader-name

il_570xN.345942837.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom