Clip from production video

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I've been in the studio for 2 days now and we have shot a lot of film for my upcoming DVD on neck carving using hand tools. Here is a very short clip showing knife skills using my shop-made carving knife and a sweet piece of 30 year old mahogany....

The 120 videos I used to have up on YouTube provided great training for this shoot which is going very well, if not tiring me out completely each day. We are hoping to have a 'wrap' on Friday. The long process of editing, cleaning - occasional intrusive noise from overhead aircraft and producing then begins in earnest with a hopeful release date in late Summer/early Autumn.

If all goes well this will be the first in a series of DVDs dedicated to luthier skills...I am planning the 2nd one now and it will be on shop made tools, template and jig making using the table router.

Nice close-up video. Great knife work. I think you could have a side business making those knives.

You'll see when it is published Tobin - it's a woodwork shop set up in a studio purpose built for videoing wood related crafts. We've set-dressed it a bit but for clarity of teaching the subject matter this is not simply a 'look what I can do' video but a carefully scripted and beautifully filmed instructional piece that focuses on hand skills. Backdrop was not important...

Pete,

Is there a release date for the DVDs? I missed the opportunity to view your videos that were previously available online.

Bill

Late summer early Autumn I suspect.

Llynwen the video production manager is going to have a tough time stitching it all together I think. I can just about manage 5 hours of filming before my head is completely empty and my mind has gone blank. What has been shot so far looks really good and the visual quality is superb. I am principally demonstrating neck carving using rasps, knives, a spokeshave and sand-paper but also cover billet preparation using hand tools. There's a section on profiling with a router...

I think the way we have covered carving with a simple model like the Gibson heel and then progressed too the more traditional 'stiletto' (Llynwen's description) conical heel will help those struggling to get this right and in proportion. Knife skills are shown in detail as is how to use sand-paper to 'cut' and 'shape' as well as smooth and refine. I'm hoping that from the sales of this we can fund future videos for y'all to replace the ones I took down at Youtube.

Nice stuff Pete. Your tutorial vids are very watchable

Top Bottom