Garage Sale Finds: Getting Lucky

sequoia

Reaction score
I saw an ad in my local paper that there was going to be a garage sale where they would have "luther supplies". Who could resist? Got some really nice stuff cheap. Appeared to be ancient supplies from a violin maker. Just goes to show: Keep your eyes peeled my luthier friends. There is stuff out there.

Flamed maple billet quarter sawn enough for maybe four ukes. Note how lines drawn for a violin. Two beautiful handmade cam clamps from oak, piece of quilted maple and assorted woods including cocobolo and ebony.

DSCN6193.jpg

DSCN6192.jpg

DSCN6197.jpg

The above photo is a piece of cocobolo I paid a dollar for. Who knows how old it is. Note that the wood has turned a really ugly shade of brown. The figure is still visible, but the color of the wood is the color of dirt or...

Nice score!

My dad goes to estate sales regularly, and tells me whenever he runs across interesting looking woods so I can go check them out. Hit the jackpot last year, with 15 bois de rose pieces (many of which will make guitar bridges or uke fingerboards), two perfectly quartersawn 3x3x25" maple blocks for necks, and some files and rasps. All for $5. I felt kind of bad for not telling them what they had... but not bad enough :p
BoisDeRose.jpg
MapleNecks.jpg

Bought a guitar at an auction once - in the days when I was into guitars. Unbeknown to me there was an ukulele in the same lot as the guitar. When I went to pick up the guitar I just about told them to keep the uke. Lucky I didn't. It's a solid koa Kumalae from about the 1920's in almost perfect condition. Sometimes you get lucky
Miguel

Top Bottom