Uke for 6 year old

jcrooks

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am looking for some advice on a good uke for my 6 year old sister in law. I want to buy it from either UR, HMS, or Mim. Just not sure which model people have had the best luck with. My main concern is having it be playable and have good intonation for a cheap uke. She is adorable but a 6 year old full on haha so I want to keep it under $75, around $50 if possible.
From my teaching experience my students have had good luck with the Makala sopranos, but what have you all found to be good?

Thanks!

I got a Makala Shark from Uke Republic for my 6 yr old daughter for Christmas (the shark and dolphin are the same except for the shape of the bridge). It is perfect! It sounds and plays great! One big plus was that it came in her favorite color (green), so she instantly loved it. I would highly recommend the shark/dolphin for a 6 yr old.

I had been leaning towards the shark/dolphin Makala, glad to hear you all enjoy them.

Oscar Schmidt ou2 is used a a teaching uke for children in the Boston area. Solid mahogany body and good tone and action for an entry level instrument. I believe they are around $60.

A uke from Uke Republic, MIMS, or HMS will be playable regardless of price. Lots of colors, designs, etc. etc. Try and imagine what she would like. Nothing wrong with that Makala

Spent more money, let's say 150 or 200. It is so easy to dislike an instrument, which is not built good or has bad intonation. The same thing with recorders for children. Parents always give them cheap instruments (who knows- will they still play in one year?) -
well, they won't play it in one year, cause there is no fun playing a cheap intrument. of course it's vabanque, but the possibility that she will stay for years with the uke is the 200 bucks worth. dont't you think?

I'd stick with one under a hundred bucks. Kala, OS or whatever from one of the suppliers mentioned. If she's anything like my 6 year old niece, it might get broken in the excitement. Quite accidentally of course but kids are kids. No way I'd give one so young a $200 instrument.

My daughter loves her tie dye Makala Ukadelic. It's made from the same materials as the Dolphins.

Thanks everyone, I think it's decided I showed her a couple pictures and she loves the RED SHARK! Lol (her words)

I started out on the pink shark. I love it. My only complaint is that the paint rubbed off where my arm rests on it. That won't happen with a dolphin....they have a glossy finish. The shark has a satin finish and the paint rubbed off on mine, but it's been played a LOT. I highly doubt a six year old will play 3 hours a day, but thought I'd share my experience.

If she wants a RED SHARK!, then she should get a RED SHARK! Can't wait to hear about her experience playing it!

Top Bottom