String tension question

bunnyf

Reaction score
i noticed that one of the wound strings was ready to break on one of my baritones, so I got out a pack of living waters linear DGBE strings. I changed them out but didn't like the feel of how thick the low D was. Also it didn't fit well into the nut slot due to its size. I'm not interested in widening the slot on my vintage Favilla just to better fit the string. So.....I thought I might make this Bari reentrant (already have other low G baris). Well, I had a set of LW gCEA Bari strings on hand, so I thought to use the c string and tune up to d? Will this be too much tension on that string? Would it hurt the bridge? What do you all think?

What I have done is. First get a wooden ruler and lay it across the top in two or three directions, take photos which show the gap under the ruler. Next fit the new strings and (in this case) tune up to say eACF and repeat with the photos. Compare the photos and see if the gap under the ruler has started to change, this is an indication of how the top is responding to the stress. If you are seeing something you don't like stop right there. If you are happy, tune up the gCEA and repeat. After you tune the uke up don't let the uke out of sight and repeat after 1800 seconds (30 minutes). If you are really keen you can measure the gap, but usually comparing the photos is enough.
After doing this with several instruments I don't bother anymore. I have never been happy with the way the top looks when I tune a bari up to C tuning. Anyway I have a concert that has C tuning. I just buy the strings that are sold in local shops which are either classical guitar sets or daddario baritone strings and put them on. Tune to g tuning and play the thing. I have worked on my technique so I can make the uke sound soft, loud, dull, resonant etc by the way I play. On your fretting hand you can strangle the neck or fret with feather softness, on the strumming hand you can move the point of contact from fret 10 right back to the saddle to get a big range of sound. This meets my needs.

Bill, I'll try he measuring idea but I'm not changing to C tuning. I'm just taking the low G off and cannabalizing a gCEA set, grabbing the C string and using it as a high D.

That's exactly what I did when I wanted to convert one of my baris to reentrant. Tuning a string up a whole step should be no problem—people often tune a standard size C set up to D tuning (all four strings up a whole step). If the C string seems too thuddy or tense, you can try the E string instead.

Ukulele, I was torn about whether I should use the E or the C but the E seemed kinda thin relative to its place as d in dGBE, so I went with the C string. I just have visions (hopefully unfounded) of the bridge lifting.

Hmm, I probably would have taken the E and tuned down to d. If you look here:
http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx
The gauges of the 1 and 4 strings in the dGBE set are the same so it is quite likely the 2 string in the gCEA set is the same as the 4 string of the dGBE set.

I have a pair of Ken's LW re-entrant dGBE (high D) on a baritone now. I really like those strings. All fluorocarbon, no wounds.

The gauges of the 1 and 4 strings in the dGBE set are the same so it is quite likely the 2 string in the gCEA set is the same as the 4 string of the dGBE set.

Thanks Jim, I was torn when I decided. I think I'll swap out as you suggest.

I had a LW .66mm string from another of the LW string sets (the second string of most LW sets) and used that as a high d string for re-entrant baritone. I'm happy with the sound and feel (slightly thicker than the top "a" string), but you'd have to have that hanging around, or ask Ken to send you one - which I'm sure he would do, he's very obliging.

Thanks all! I got up early and loosened the tension on the Cstring that I tuned up to D and now I'm gonna swap it out with the extra Bari GCEA Estring that I had laying around and tune it down. Thanks again everyone. I should have asked first and saved myself some work and worry.

Top Bottom