Deconstructing Processes

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
After a week of production filming with film makers who know nothing about my processes I have found that what I do is not as simple as I had supposed!

Also, a usually articulate man, I found it really hard to describe some of the operations using simple language - there is so much that is technical and specific that there is no universal language for it.

My director also renamed the 'classic heel' design, 'The Stiletto Heel' design. Gonna call it that from now on in.

Side bar - just had an email from Stan Werbin at Elderly. It concludes: "It's a great time for ukes." When we first met in 1998 and he ordered ukes from me , we were still anticipating this time...

Yes, the 'Stiletto Heel' has a better ring. Sexier... Interesting what you say about the difficulty describing in words what you are doing, but that is the beauty of video - it can show what words can't describe...

So here's what I mean - do you have a 'tip of the heel' or 'foot of the heel'? What is the opposite of the 'base of the neck'? Is it 'the top' or 'the nut' or 'the end'... We know what the end of the fingerboard is but which is the end of neck?

I think we are going to have fun in the edit of my neck carving video keeping track and continuity :)

Interesting. I recently heard Alan Alda (the actor) being interviewed about his current tangent - teaching scientists to communicate with the public. He told a story about neuroscientists and nanoscientists at a conference "wasting" a lot of time arguing about what a probe was. It meant something very different to each camp.

A couple of years ago you and I had a frustrating exchange (likely more so for you) on this forum about the basic nature of the uke because I was ignorant as to your definition of "folk instrument".

Establishing/defining common terms is essential for any communication. Language is a tricky business, irrespective of one's linguistic aptitude. Especially because we all think in words (internal monologue) and therefore name things for ourselves and only have to justify or explain these names when someone else is involved. So it goes.

At least you are doing this on video wherein you have the opportunity to visually point to what you are naming.

This concept is esoteric and fascinates me. Thank you for bringing it up. And thank you for keeping us posted on less obvious/intuitive points of your shoot.

Last edited:
I just say "thingy"

Top Bottom