Radiused Fretboard Width

boogie10

Reaction score
Are there radiused fretboards that are wide? It seems that most of the ones I've seen are 1 3/8" wide. I have not seen one with 1 1/2".

Last edited:
Most all the production ukes I am aware of with a radius fretboard are 1-3/8". I cannot think of any radius fretboard with the standard width being 1-1/2" other than Maui Music and those are custom.

Kanile'a have wider fretboards and are available with a radius. That's the only production line that I can think of off the top of my head that offers both 1 1/2 and radius. There may be others of which I'm not aware.

Of course, there are custom options even starting at $1K (e.g., Covered Bridge) that may be able to accommodate both for you. I had my Kinnard done with 1 1/2 and radius fretboard.

E

Last edited:
My customs have 1.5 inch fretboards. As I have fat fingers too, the ability to have a fret board of my own desired width is one of the justifications I use to commission a custom instrument.

Yes mate, I couldn't resist. It should be here in Australia in a couple of weeks!

Wow Cam that is so great to see that instrument finding it's home with you, congratulations.

@boogie 10, Have you every played a 1-1/2" fretboard before? I have a friend who had a custom uke built with a 1-1/2" radius fretboard but had never played that width, every uke he owns is 1-3/8". He does not like, to the point he might send it back to the luither to be reworked to 1-3/8". Just some food for thought......buy an inexpensive Islander as they have 1-1/2" fretboard.

Yes, I have 2 tenors that both have 1 1/2" widths but both are flat. I recently just tried a Pono and really liked the radiused fretboard but found it a little narrow and just couldn't get used to it.

I do prefer a slightly wider fingerboard with a radius. My W.J. Herringe ukes, Concert, Tenor & Baritone are all 1 7/16".
I have a John Kinnard Super Tenor on the way from HMS and it has a radiused 1 9/16" fingerboard. Enough room for a picnic!

Congrats on Kimo's Uke purchase. That Uke sounds really sweet.

Wow Cam that is so great to see that instrument finding it's home with you, congratulations.

@boogie 10, Have you every played a 1-1/2" fretboard before? I have a friend who had a custom uke built with a 1-1/2" radius fretboard but had never played that width, every uke he owns is 1-3/8". He does not like, to the point he might send it back to the luither to be reworked to 1-3/8". Just some food for thought......buy an inexpensive Islander as they have 1-1/2" fretboard.

Congrats on Kimo's Uke purchase. That Uke sounds really sweet.

Thanks guys.

Top Bottom