PDA

View Full Version : The Family Album - Please add your pics!

Camsuke
07-17-2015, 02:46 PM
I was sorting a few old family photos recently and came across this one of my Dad playing the banjolele, the date on the back is 1947.
He played piano & ukulele and passed on his love of music to our family.
Truly wonderful memories, that's for sure.

Hippie Dribble
07-17-2015, 02:52 PM
What an amazing photograph Cam. Beautiful. He has those folks in the palm of his hands. And a BRILLIANT idea for a thread. Best one in yonks. Can't wait to see it unfold mate.

Camsuke
07-17-2015, 03:08 PM
What an amazing photograph Cam. Beautiful. He has those folks in the palm of his hands. And a BRILLIANT idea for a thread. Best one in yonks. Can't wait to see it unfold mate.

Thanks mate, it's hard to believe it's almost 70 years ago!

Debby
07-17-2015, 03:12 PM
I was sorting a few old family photos recently and came across this one of my Dad playing the banjolele, the date on the back is 1947.
He played piano & ukulele and passed on his love of music to our family.
Truly wonderful memories, that's for sure.

Wow!! That is a really neat picture! Thanks for sharing!

Camsuke
07-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Wow!! That is a really neat picture! Thanks for sharing!

Yes Debby, it's neat to see these images, very special indeed.

mm stan
07-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Amazing picture Campbell wow ukulele runs in your veins

Camsuke
07-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Amazing picture Campbell wow ukulele runs in your veins

Hi Stan, hopefully we can all pass down the joy of music to the ones we love. As you say mate, it's a gift to share!

Debby
07-17-2015, 05:13 PM
Yes Debby, it's neat to see these images, very special indeed.

We have an old National Triolian Resonator that my husband's grandpa played. We inherited it a few years ago, when his uncle passed away. I wish we had a pic of him playing it. You can tell he played it a lot.

wayfarer75
07-18-2015, 01:56 AM
That is an amazing photo! Thank you for sharing it with us. My grandmother had an old plastic uke, but I don't know if we have a picture of her with it.

DownUpDave
07-18-2015, 02:27 AM
Thinking hard, thinking back really hard there were no musicians nor music on either side of my family. Nobody played or sang anything at all..........no uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, nothing, nada!!!

At the again of 57 I am now starting a new trend. If I ever have grandchildren they will learn to play and sing. Time to start a new family tradition.

Thanks for the picture Cam, it is awesome.

UkerDanno
07-18-2015, 04:42 AM
no ukes, but me on the bass about 50 years ago...with Mom, my sister and Grandpa!

Camsuke
07-18-2015, 02:43 PM
We have an old National Triolian Resonator that my husband's grandpa played. We inherited it a few years ago, when his uncle passed away. I wish we had a pic of him playing it. You can tell he played it a lot.
Please post a pic Debby, I'd love to take a look.

That is an amazing photo! Thank you for sharing it with us. My grandmother had an old plastic uke, but I don't know if we have a picture of her with it.
Hopefully there's one stashed away somewhere, have a dig around Laura!

Thinking hard, thinking back really hard there were no musicians nor music on either side of my family. Nobody played or sang anything at all..........no uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, nothing, nada!!!

At the again of 57 I am now starting a new trend. If I ever have grandchildren they will learn to play and sing. Time to start a new family tradition.

Thanks for the picture Cam, it is awesome.
Thanks Dave, if anyone has the enthusiasm to pass it on, it's you mate!

no ukes, but me on the bass about 50 years ago...with Mom, my sister and Grandpa!
This is simply wonderful, thanks for sharing! I just love the fashions of the day too!

Tudorp
07-18-2015, 03:09 PM
My Dad (RIP) was well known to be quite the character. He was always wearing his infamous "derby" hat, and played a mean "air" fiddle. Caught this picture of him in all said glory back in the 1970s.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/tsghdk_zpsd8gqad34.jpg

brUKEman
07-18-2015, 05:42 PM
Great Picture. You should try to do a similar picture with yourself and friends, and place the pictures in side by side frames. This will be a great treasure for your future grandchildren who will then share it on UU.

janeray1940
07-18-2015, 06:14 PM
My dad played uke but I'm sad to say there's no photographic evidence... I do have a handful of photos from his early years in Hawaii though. He worked on the Matson Lines Lurline between San Francisco and Honolulu in the years prior to WWII. This one's a favorite.

Camsuke
07-18-2015, 08:42 PM
My Dad (RIP) was well known to be quite the character. He was always wearing his infamous "derby" hat, and played a mean "air" fiddle. Caught this picture of him in all said glory back in the 1970s.

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff490/Tudorp/tsghdk_zpsd8gqad34.jpg

My dad played uke but I'm sad to say there's no photographic evidence... I do have a handful of photos from his early years in Hawaii though. He worked on the Matson Lines Lurline between San Francisco and Honolulu in the years prior to WWII. This one's a favorite.

Really lovely pics Tudorp & Jane, these images become so precious as time goes by, thank for sharing.

UkAlele
07-18-2015, 09:34 PM
Hi

I thought would create a photo for future generations to discover. Because I couldn't find one I thought it would be good fun to do. Photo attached, titled: I stir my tea with a ukelele...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele 81635

Camsuke
07-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Hi

I thought would create a photo for future generations to discover. Because I couldn't find one I thought it would be good fun to do. Photo attached, titled: I stir my tea with a ukelele...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele 81635

Thanks for posting UkAlele, that has got to be the smallest uke I've ever seen!

UkAlele
07-19-2015, 11:36 PM
Hi Campbell,

It's pretty small I agree. I'm at the end of the build project and am going to post video to introduce it to the uke world.

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

kypfer
08-04-2015, 11:05 AM

... from the 1950's, a local dance combo, not a ukulele in sight, I'm afraid, but Dad's brother, my uncle Reg, is on clarinet :)

Camsuke
08-04-2015, 01:05 PM
What a cool photo, I love the drum kit on wheels! Thanks for sharing Kypfer!

Purdy Bear
08-05-2015, 02:06 AM
As far as I know there haven't been any ancestors that played the Ukelele. There was a composer, a pianist, organist in a cinima type stuff, even a guy who copied out sheet music and sold it on a street corner, but no string instruments. I have found out since I started playing two weeks ago, that I have two cousins (by marriage) that play the Ukulele, so I suppose that is a start. They live right across the other side of the city from me, so no way we can meet up just yet.

Oh the current trend of players of instruments in my immediate family so far is : Ukulele, orchestral flute, organ, saxophone, recorder, penny whistle, acme dog whistle and finally the piano. I think the current living generations are making up for the ones past.