Tenor Outdoor Ukulele

angrygnome

Reaction score
Tenor Outdoor Ukulele (Now includes a review.)

While I know the soprano model that has been out for a while gets mixed reviews, I thought some people here might be interested in this. Just went on pre-order today. They say they have a limited number in this run and that they'll ship on Monday (7/20). This run only has the 'bottle brown' model. The next run (end of the month/beginning of next month) will have bottle brown and 'natural' (translucent). $150 isn't bad in my opinion and I've always liked my OU soprano (for what it is).

Link to their site:

http://www.outdoorukulele.com/products/outdoor-ukulele-tenor

Demo video of their prototype:

More pictures and videos are available on their facebook page.

I already bought one... can't wait to get it. (I know this probably sounds like an advertisement, but I just like the concept of these ukes.) :)

EDIT: 7/25/2015 - A quick review and images of the OU I just received today:

First let me say that I have been a fan of the OU for a while. Opinions seem to be pretty divided on the original OU soprano. It would be a generalization (but I don't think entirely untrue) to say that you either love it or you hate it. I've always loved mine. That being said, I have had a few complaints about the soprano (keep in mind that I was one of the first 10 orders, so they may have made improvements to the soprano later that I didn't see):

- The squared neck is difficult to get used to and I was never able to get 100% comfortable with it.
- The grooves in the nut are far too shallow. On more than one occasion I had the A string pop out of place while playing hard and/or fast. This is disappointing when you can't replace the nut.
- The frets are WAY too tall. This video does a good job of showing how you can easily sharpen a note by playing too hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r89dXr9JbpM

I mention my issues with the soprano OU because they have all been fixed in the tenor! The neck is rounded and comfortable, the grooves in the nut have a proper depth, and the frets are much shorter. The action is nice and low and you only have to press lightly to get good tone. However, even if you have a bit more of a heavy hand, you won't make the notes go sharp as was possible on the soprano.

In terms of sound quality, I feel like the tenor has a great tone and sounds less 'plasticy' to my ear than the soprano. The tenor also sounds a bit milder and perhaps a tad quiet. However, I think some of that can be attributed to the strings that come on it. I have Aquila reds on my soprano and they made a huge difference in the volume and quality of sound I was able to get out of it. I imagine the same will be true for the tenor. The strings that come on the tenor OU are not horrible, but they just don't cut it for me. Overall I would rate the sound quality 'good' even when compared to similarly priced wood ukes. I would rate it 'excellent' if it is only compared against other plastic/non-wood ukes.

Obviously the tenor is heavier than the soprano. A lot of the weight seems to be in the neck, rather than just at the headstock with the metal tuners. The neck feels solid and high quality (much more solid than the soprano's neck). I imagine it is reinforced against the additional tension of the tenor strings. The OU comes with Grover open tuners that work well and as you would expect. I also really love the color. It's hard to tell that it is brown until you bring it into sunlight. It has a translucent, chocolate color to it in the right light that I like more than my original black model soprano.

Overall I would say that I am quite impressed. It's obvious that the people at OU learned from the feedback given by people who purchased the soprano. I think it's a steal for $150 as long as you don't expect it to sound like a more expensive wood uke. I think most people understand that this is not meant to replace their nice wood uke. That being said, at this price point I don't think I'd choose anything else. :)

Comparison pictures with the OU soprano (sorry a couple are a bit blurry):

Front Compared:
33ASM31.jpg

Side Compared:
0jjJaIv.jpg

I have too many pictures so I've included more as links:

Soprano Nut

Tenor Nut

Soprano Frets

Tenor Frets

Headstock Front

Headstock Back

Sound hole

Last edited:
Darn you! Why did you do this to me? I ended up putting in an order for a tenor! There goes the money.

I'm glad they don't make a cutaway or I might be tempted.

Wow, that sample sounds great. Looking forward to reviews of you and others who got one.

Last edited:
I previously owned a OU soprano and I liked it a lot. The only reason I don't have it anymore is because it was stolen but I digress. Anyway, while I liked the OU and the square neck it seems to me that a lot of other folks didn't. I think that's the biggest reason why they haven't been more successful. They should first figure out a way to make a more traditionally shaped neck before putting out another model imho.

I got a chance to strum one of the tenor models this weekend at Uke University in Bend, Oregon. The neck is not "squared" like the soprano model, but rounded. I found it quite comfortable to play - if you can call what I do playing. :)

Bill

Well, that changes everything. Good thing for me they're sold out right now.

Dear angrygnome
would you be so kind post some review and photos when you got it? I am contemplating getting one as well when the stock become available.. I would be very keen to know how playable it is and the sound of it.

Last edited:
Sounds cool- post a review and pics when you get it please

I've edited my original post with a really quick review with images.

Thanks for the good pics and comparison to the soprano (good that you have both to compare). I like the root-beer / beer-bottle brown color. Love the soundhole logo too. Seems pretty good - and made in the USA - can't go wrong supporting local businesses like them. I might have to pick one of these up.

Got mine yesterday. It looks good, the neck feels good in the hand, and it sounds GREAT !

So, I did receive my OU brown tenor last week - part of the first batch sold. For $150 I wasn't expecting much, but am I ever impressed. The sound exceeds my expectations. This is one fun and indestructible uke! It has been a blast playing it. And the neck is not bad as it is rounded at the corners/edges - not an issue as far as I'm concerned. Recommended.

I got one and immediately put a wound low G and Seaquar clear fluorocarbon strings on it. Has a plastic sound to it but what would you expect with it being made out of plastic. As others have said, the neck is rounded and is comfortable to play, action is nice and low. Plenty of volume. The instrument is well made, solid, not heavy.

Overall, this is a very nice instrument for the money.

Wow! Good, complimentary words and no worries about cracks, etc. One needn't worry about humidity and all that humidification fuss either. Maybe if enough people buy 'em, they'll improve them even more. :eek:ld:

I got one and immediately put a wound low G and Seaquar clear fluorocarbon strings on it.

if the frets are polycarb I think a wound string will ruin your frets in short order.

Top Bottom