Islander AS-4 scale length

cpmusic

Reaction score
I know the Islander AS-4 has 14 frets to the body, but I can't find its scale length listed anywhere. Does anyone know what it is?

probably 13"-13.5", since it's a soprano...

I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm looking for the specific scale, and I can't find one locally to measure. Sopranos with 14 frets to the body are commonly super or long-neck sopranos, but I can't find a website that lists the specs; even the Islander website doesn't have them.

Once again, I mean no offense with this post.

I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm looking for the specific scale, and I can't find one locally to measure. Sopranos with 14 frets to the body are commonly super or long-neck sopranos, but I can't find a website that lists the specs; even the Islander website doesn't have them.

Once again, I mean no offense with this post.

Hi Chris, that happens to be a very good question. I have owned an AS-4 almost 10 months now and like it quite a bit. I bought it because it is longer than a regular soprano in both scale length and neck length. I measure neck length from nut to body joint. Here are the dimensions compared to a Loprinzi super soprano

AS-4 scale length...13-3/4", neck length..7-3/4"

Loprinzi scale length 15", neck length, 8-1/4"
super soprano

Last edited:
Thank you, Dave -- that's exactly what I was looking for. I know the AS-4 has a wider fretboard and I was hoping for the concert scale to go with it, as I really do prefer the super sort of soprano. But I'm guessing the extra 1/4" of scale length is more significant than it might seem on paper. I hope I can find one to try out soon.

Just be careful. I have older stock AS4 that joins at 14th fret (and love it). The newer Islanders sopranos seem to be joined at the 12th fret (see HMS photos) so the scale might be less. I asked Andrew about this on their forum and he was going to check it out but has never posted a follow up.

Just be careful. I have older stock AS4 that joins at 14th fret (and love it). The newer Islanders sopranos seem to be joined at the 12th fret (see HMS photos) so the scale might be less. I asked Andrew about this on their forum and he was going to check it out but has never posted a follow up.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.

Top Bottom