Shortbass One

katysax

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Well I've gone back to the senior center to play with the all acoustic group and used my Hadean U-Bass Acoustic. There is no way it is loud enough to be used without an amp. I can barely hear myself. I saw a used Shortbass One so I decided to give that a try. I won't have it for a couple of weeks as it is coming from the UK. It's the 12 fret one.

From listening to various clips it seems that the 14 fret one is louder, and I'd probably prefer the fretless, but I'm not even sure that can be heard acoustically. Since I got this one used at half the price of a new one, even with shipping I figured I'd give 12 fret fretted one a shot and see if it works it out. It might be good enough.

As it is I've been going back to play even if they can't hear me just for the practice of playing with others.

Good for you Sherry for not letting that guy dissuade you.

Glad to hear that you are going back there. I will be interested in your review of the ShortBass. I have my doubts that any of these Uke Basses will be loud enough to play along with a group, but it may just suffice to provide a deep end.

I'm 99.9% sure that it won't be even close to loud enough. I can barely hear my acoustic u-bass without an amp. The laws of physics will allow the shortbass one to be louder, but only to some degree. I think it's probably loud enough to play along with a couple of guitars in a living room.

However, I'm thinking that I will hear it better and maybe it will provide some sense of a bottom end to the group. One time, at one of my groups, someone was playing a bass line on an acoustic guitar, and while I could barely hear it - I could hear it at times and it did provide some feeling of a bass line. Next time I go (because I don't expect the shortbass for a while) I am going to try using a Fender acoustic bass (if they don't kick me out for it not being a ukulele). It is definitely louder than any u-bass that I have. But still not even as loud as an acoustic guitar. I might try at some point also stringing it with Piccolo bass strings, which are an octave higher, like the Kamoa ukulele bass.

Assuming it has a pickup, have you considered running an earphone out (one ear only, so you can still clearly hear the other players)? That won't help you be heard by others, but make it easier for you to hear what you're doing, which sounds like your goal.

I have never heard an acoustic bass guitar/uke that was loud enough to play purely acoustically with other instruments. They're just not big enough to move enough air. The one exception is the Rigel, but I think it stretches the definition of "bass guitar"!

A headphone is an idea, but I would guess you need one of those headphone mini amps that plug into the outlet and the headphone plug into it.

mini amp.png

I've seen videos with a Shortbass One and a few ukes and the Shortbass held its own. I don't think it will hold its own with a group of 20 ukes. I've considered using a headphone but I think they'll give me a problem about that too.

Those Rigel's are something else. The old Earthwood Ernie Ball Acoustic Basses are pretty loud, but they go for a lot of money and have a lot of problems. The Tacoma Thunderchiefs are pretty loud, but the Shortbass One is supposedly louder than a Thunderchief. Also, I think I need something that arguable fits the definition of a "ukulele". The video is of a Bass that is inspired by the Earthwood bass. The thing is really big.

Last edited:
Here is a video of a ukulele group with a Shortbass One. It is not plugged in and is the 12 fret model like I am expecting. I think the room acoustics are helping in this video. Also, it is a group playing an instrumental and not that loud. You can definitely hear the bass.

Wow, if that Shorbass really isn't plugged in, that's remarkable. Let us know how yours works out.

Here's another thought, I did a $100 Kickstarter investment for the ToneWoodAmp that's supposed to be released in late September, $199 or $149 pre-order. It's a box that sticks to the back of an acoustic instrument and uses the body to amplify the instrument, including various effects. I'm looking forward to trying it on my basses and ukes.

ToneWoodAmp 2.jpg

ToneWoodAmp 1.jpg

A headphone is an idea, but I would guess you need one of those headphone mini amps that plug into the outlet and the headphone plug into it.

mini amp.png

I have this one in "Tube Drive" version. Works okay but does go through batteries pretty quickly, a couple of hours or so.
I much prefer playing through a b1on (or g1on) pedal although you would need volume controls on your headphones (I use ktxpro titaniums).

The shortbass one video must be "rigged". The enclosed space, post processing and mic placement were all used. Listen with headphones there's some serious LPF going on.

Last edited:
I agree that the sound is rigged somehow. I think a lot of it is the enclosed space. But mic placement makes a lot of sense too - which means it isn't really acoustic.

I have this one in "Tube Drive" version. Works okay but does go through batteries pretty quickly, a couple of hours or so.
I much prefer playing through a b1on (or g1on) pedal although you would need volume controls on your headphones (I use ktxpro titaniums).

The shortbass one video must be "rigged". The enclosed space, post processing and mic placement were all used. Listen with headphones there's some serious LPF going on.

Having seen the Tonewood Amp I put in an order. I won't be getting one until October or later. I'm not sure how it will work with the bass or how much volume it will add but it also looks like a fun gadget for guitar and ukulele.

Top Bottom