Gluing Cocobolo Wood

sequoia

Reaction score
I was having a little problem getting cocobolo wood to glue really well using Titebond. I came across a method of gluing fretboard binding using CA glue in an O'Brian video (below). Using binding tape as a clamp, tape the binding tight to the fretboard on a perfectly flat surface. Wick low viscosity CA into the seam.

DSCN6219.jpg

Remove tape and that cocobolo is glued on there solid as the Hammers of Hell. Now to clean up that CA staining and tape residue on the underside. I'm hoping a little scraping and sanding will do it. Maybe a lot of sanding and scraping. We shall see.

DSCN6217.jpg

http://www.caglue.com/How-to-attach...CA-glue-and-Hot-Stuff-thin-CA-glue_ep_78.html

3 minutes with a scraper and a couple minutes with sandpaper and the CA staining was gone. Only superficial. Also the join was absolutely seamless and strong. This is the way I'm going to glue fretboard binding from now on. Does a nice job and very quick.

DSCN6248.jpg DSCN6250.jpg

Regardless of the glue type, one should acetone the Cocobolo until it wipes fairly clear on a paper towel.
I've glued cocobolo with Titebond, LMI glue, hide glue, West Systems epoxy, 5 min epoxy and CA and i always acetone before gluing with any of them.

Actually I wiped with denatured methanol which works to wipe away the oils on cocobolo but not nearly as effective as acetone. I don't use acetone anymore after I saw an acetone fire many years ago. The thing about acetone is that if it ignites, the flame is invisible. The guy I was working with noticed that the paint on the cabinets was bubbling and turning brown before we realized the stuff had ignited. We never saw the flame because flame from acetone you can't see. It is weirdly invisible. He did manage to put the fire out with an extinguisher before we completely burnt the shop down, but I have had a whole lot of respect for the stuff ever since. Plus it ain't good for the liver. I have also used xylene as a solvent before and that stuff will cut anything. Not saying that using acetone is bad, just realize it can be weirdly flammable and it can ignite without a spark.

For solvents, your liver won't thank you for using any of them, just the way the world is. They all burn pretty well too.
For gluing Cocobolo, or indeed any other exotic oily wood, Smiths Oak and Teak is pretty much designed for the job
Much loved by Luthiers for holding down finger boards and stressed necks from exotic materials, reviewed in Guitar Maker here.

Top Bottom