Kala KA-TG Ukulele ( Southernukulelestore)

Naiad

Reaction score
Hello all

Looking at this as my first Uke!I play guitar but so enjoyed a recent uke concert I've got to have one!I am a novice uke player but now I'm retired I have time to learn the chord shapes,strumming patterns etc.
Your comments regarding suitability and possible alternatives would be most welcome I think I will have the low G tuning for the bluesy stuff.

Looking forward to your comments

PS Southern ukes have said they wil fit the low G string & set the uke up before despatch etc

Where you based?
Find a local group and join them, lots of help in the switch over from guitar to Uke?
Have you tried the other sizes? Try the various sizes before you buy to see what you like best. (Baritone is close to guitar, strung as guitar, not my dog has fleas! Sopranos are plinky plinky as you'd expect a uke to be, tenors are deeper voiced, more guitar like than soprano.)
Rod's boot camp is recommended for learning the chord shapes and names, foc download from here:
http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com/
I believe, (Sweeping statement alert!) the general consensus is that low G is great for fingerpicking, but not so good strummed, Your mileage may vary. Not a fingerpicker so cannot say for sure.
For early blues/ragtime, check out Del Rey and Adam Franklin, who supports Del in the UK. Another great blues player is Manitoba Hal.
h

I am a big fan of the Southern Ukulele Store, so I suggest you pay them a visit in person, and ask for help/ advice there, if you're in the UK. They have the biggest range of ukuleles in Europe and I have found them to be incredibly helpful and totally trustworthy. I don't know how far away you are, but it's worth a day trip if you can do it. I've had a couple of Kalas from them and would definitely recommend the Acacia and the laminate Acacia with solid cedar top; lots of people favour the solid mahogany Kala and the archtop for a bluesy sound too, but there are so many I haven't tried that I think you'd be best off asking the experts in store and trying a few out. Have fun!

(Sweeping statement alert!) the general consensus is that low G is great for fingerpicking, but not so good strummed,
h

Really? I'd never heard that. I happen to love my low G's and think they are great for fingerpicking because you have more low notes to choose from for the melody line.

I've just bought my first Kala, a koa laminate tenor 8 string. It's well made & finished, the wood is beautiful, it plays well, sounds really good and was reasonably priced. My other uke is a Noah concert. As an ex guitar player I initially found the concert a bit small but quickly got used to it and love playing it more than I ever did the guitar. I mainly finger pick and have no problem with picking on the re-enterent tuned concert, I really like the high c tuning for my style of picking. Strummed, it sounds the way most people expect a uke to sound.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed with a Kala.

Top Bottom