What do you think to the uke so far?

UkAlele

Reaction score
Hi UU,

I've just finished uploading the latest ItsyBitsyUke video. I would be so grateful for feedback and ideas on shaping my ItsyBitsyUke project which intends to get me building ukes and learning to play.

The first ItsyBitsyUke is travelling off across the pond to a new owner, so who else wants to own an ItsyBitsyUke?

I have attached the YouTube link and am grateful for your time if you viewed the video. Size comparison picture is added.

Next step, ItsyBitsyUke build #3.

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

https://youtu.be/QtLFjkZcnaQ

DSC_0427.jpg

Good luck on the builds... Making mini ukes is pretty fun. The "Aphid" I used to build before my stroke was very theraputic. Some day, I would like to make them again. My "Aphid" was also 6.5" scale, but smaller than what you are doing, however yours is more playable. The Aphid is playable, but dificult. Here is an old thread of mine if you would like to take a look.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?52309-Yay-Aphid-is-a-real-ukulele-)

LOL awesome little ukes!!! I hope you continue to refine them. Maybe more defined upper and lower bout? Might be a construction limitation though. Either way this is great work man.

Great encouraging comments. I shall continue to refine the build process and shall take note of your feedback. A more shapely body sounds good and I'm also going to get the wood down to about 1.7mm, making it easier to shape. I want them to be playable by the novice or experienced uke player.

I'm about to make a batch of four ItsyBitsyUkes and am keen to ensure that each one is based on the same scale length but is built to the customer's request from the available body width sizes. So for example the last commission was for a wide body ItsyBitsyUke. Can't wait to get building...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

I cant wait to see what you come up with. I wouldn't shy away from narrowing the fretboard either. It is supposed to be a mini uke afterall. Also if you want to space on the headstock, consider just violin friction tuners.

I will give the violin friction tuners a go and let you know how they perform. Do you think the fretboard could be slimmer. How slim? At present it's 34mm at the base and 29mm at the nut end.

Hi Tudorp,

Did the aphid have any bracing or tone bars included in the build? I would love to know how it was built.

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Yes, there were bracing in the body. I built them just as one would build a normal sized uke, just smaller. I still have the very first one I made, and it has an ebony fretboard, bridge, and tuners. The tuners are friction type like violins use, and are also made from ebony. Nut and saddle are both bone. I have several threads on it on the forum, some with some good pictures during the builds. I also made a pineapple version. Do a search on "Aphid" and "ladybug" and you should be able to find the threads on those with pictures. The standard body I called "Aphid" and the pineapple I called "Ladybug"

attachment.php

Here is an old post on one of the builds.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?49451-D%FCk-Aphid-Build-Thread&highlight=aphid

Last edited:
Hi,

You could only fall in love with such cute ukeleles. The names are brilliant and totally befitting for the instruments.

Are there any aphid and ladybug ukes around for purchasing?

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

I took ill a few years ago and had to stop making them. I want to crank back up soon and make some more though. Hopefully soon. I sold all but the very first one I made. I kept that one for my kids. I have one that I have the body and neck done, but never finished it that is made from maple. All the others I did were all Mahogany, but I don't have any available for sale currently.

Both of you guys do really cool work. I'm sure you already know about Koaloha's first uke which was a tiny one like yours. I hope both of you continue / go back to making these awesome little things.

Hi Ronin,

Thanks for the great comment, very motivating and encouraging. Regarding continuing to build... ABSOLUTELY... I can't stop reading about new techniques and trying them out on a new build.

I don't want any ItsyBitsyUke to look the same as the one before. I am aiming to create individual bespoke fully playable cute micro ukes.

I've just finished building today. Managed to get wood thickness down to below 2mm. Skills in bending wood are becoming more proficient. PayPal account set up for people who may want to order an ItsyBitsyUke.

So much has happened so quickly. I shall have ItsyBitsyUke #3 finished by Friday and shall post a video to my YouTube channel. I hope the luthiers of the world might share their knowledge and give advice on how to improve the product. That would be very useful useful.

I shall be selling the ItsyBitsyUkes through ebay as each one becomes available. ItsyBitsyUke#1 went to Canada and hopefully great developmental feedback will also be made available from the users. Any feedback only strengthens the product. The fact that it's always changing is what makes ItsyBitsyUke so bespoke and quirky.

One mad moment today in the shed... Well it involved doodling possible other shapes for ItsyBitsyUke and as I strummed away on my banjolele, that eureka moment arrived.

I'm going to build an ItsyBitsyBanjolele... Crazy, but I am convinced it's doable... I feed back progress as next model develops.

Have a great summer...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

Last edited:
I'm going to build an ItsyBitsyBanjolele... Crazy, but I am convinced it's doable... I feed back progress as next model develops.

Have a great summer...

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail.com

Keep us posted how that turns out. I had planned to make a mini banjole myself before I had my health issue. Once that happened, it shut me down. But, I think it will be challenging, but dooable.

Hi Tudorp,

Did you find out where to get a micro tambourine from?

I am thinking of using one with a 4.5 inch diameter.

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

I am not aware of Koaloha's first uke. Would you be able to forward a link?

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Hi Tudorp,

Did you find out where to get a micro tambourine from?

I am thinking of using one with a 4.5 inch diameter.

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

No. I was planning to bend my own head wood, but never got to that point.

How did you intend to create the drum skin on which the floating bridge would sit?

Cheers

Hi

I have sourced a supplier for calf head skin and that should arrive next week.

How would you get the tension into the skin and secure it?

I hadn't worked that totally out by the time I had my medical issue. I was planning to make the 1st proto type one using simple gut cord, and tying it on like the old native american drums. It would work until I made some sort of tension ring and hardware.

Top Bottom