Kala SMHB Baritone All Solid Mahogany Slothead - $225 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

uku0729

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Kala all mahogany slothead baritone uke for sale that was purchased just a few months ago at Haight Ashbury Music Center here in San Francisco. It's a wonderful instrument but shortly after purchasing this, I found a used Pono Baritone which I prefer. This uke actually has a better bass response but I prefer the overall sound and playability of the Pono. I purchased the Kala gig bag with the Kala logo separately so I invested about $330.00 total. It is currently strung with Aquila DGBE strings. Money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. I installed one strap button on the bottom. I use the Planet Waves quick release strap system on all my ukes and guitars which is why there is only one button. There are no dings or scratches on the instrument, however, there are two very minor finish flaws along the left side of the fretboard. I tried to photograph them but I wasn't able to get a clear shot. I actually didn't notice them until a week or so after I bought it because they are only a couple of mm in diameter and in an area that is dark so they are very hard to spot.

Price is $225 shipped US Standard Post (takes about a week) anywhere in the continental US. If you want a different carrier or service, just pay the difference over $25.00. I can accept Paypal, money orders or cashier checks.

Here are the specs:

20-1/4 baritone scale (distance from nut to saddle)
30-3/4 overall body length
13-3/4 body length
7-1/2 upper bout
10 lower bout
6-3/8 waist
2-3/4 to 3-1/4 arched-back body depth
1-7/16 at nut
Solid mahogany top, back and sides
Satin finish
Synthetic tortoise shell binding with black and white purfling
18 silver-nickel frets
Rosewood fingerboard and bridge
Mahogany neck
Fret position markers at 5th,7th,10th and 12th frets on neck and top of fingerboard
Chrome die-cast tuners
Simulated bone nut and saddle
Aquila Nylgut Premium strings

Thanks for looking and keep on strummin':)

Attachments

• kala1.jpg
    kala1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 47
  • kala2.jpg
    kala2.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 72
  • kala3.jpg
    kala3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 48
  • kala4.jpg
    kala4.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 50
  • kala5.jpg
    kala5.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I have a the tenor version of this uke and am very impressed with it's lightness and rich tone. In this price range, it's a wonderful bari.

No response after 48 hours. I'm moving on. No idea if the uke is still for sale or ever was.

Some newer members forget to empty their mailboxes. Don't be hasty :wtf:

Phil,
I agree. This was up for sale 1 month ago from a new member.
What ever happened to patience?
This guy tried to buy another bari on another thread and then the seller backed out. Strangely, he (tcs...) was the one who posted "transaction is pending"
instead of the seller.
Here is the thread, posts 17-21
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?108832-Kala-Cedar-Top-Baritone/page2
I wonder if this guy is jinxed or something.
Oh well.

If anyone wants a retro looking bari with some cool tortoise binding, this thing is awesome and a great deal. Makes me wish I liked to play baritone.

Some newer members forget to empty their mailboxes. Don't be hasty :wtf:

Well, it's been 3 days now with no response. I really don't know how long is long enough. If I were selling, I would check activity at the very least once a day. Likely more.

I've made 3 attempts to buy a uke on this forum:

1) Made full price offer which was seen by seller. He ignored my PM's and later sold the uke offline. He left me (and everyone else) hanging for a week before I gave in. Failure 1
2) Made full price offer and asked about shipping costs. Seller said he'd get back to me with shipping costs. The next PM I got from him said he wanted to keep it. This, after bumping the thread to attract buyers. Failure 2
3) Made full price offer and 3 days later, nada. (This thread)

Maybe I'm a little soured on the behavior I've witnessed. Honestly, I expect better from folks. I suppose if I want guarantees I should just buy from HMS. So far they've done everything they said they would.

Last edited:
Great idea...HMS I mean...those are some righteous folks!!

As far as the service here on UU...I've successfully purchased two ukes...just this week!!

For what it's worth, your "Failure 2" link points circularly to this thread, not the thread you intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom