New Ukulele Day - KoAloha Concert

upskydowncloud

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I debated about getting a KoAloha when I got my first 'proper' ukulele but decided to go for a Kamaka. However, I saw this KoAloha concert KCM-00 a few days ago and couldn't resist this time.

The uke is really well made and looks wise I think it's really impressive. The koa wood has a lovely pattern and I really like the use of koa for the fretboard, binding and fret markers (which I think actually are a bit too big but I still like them).

The main point about this ukulele is the sound though. This is a concert size and the volume and tone is really impressive. My Kamaka tenor is very mellow and has a lovely tone but I think the KoAloha (even in concert size) is louder. It has a bright Hawaiian tone which I really like and it sounds great. I am sure this is due to the sound hole (which I think looks cool too). This uke has the older style bridge which says KoAloha as I understand the newer models are being shipped with a plain bridge.

Some people complain about friction tuners but so far these have not been a problem for this instrument and it keeps tune very well.

I just thought I'd show you a few photos anyway. I definitely recommend this model for anyone thinking of getting one.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

44.jpg

Oh wow you got a good one! I love the grain pattern on the lower bout and how it comes to a point right at the apex of the musubi hole - lol you cant make that up. The back with some lighter koa in the middle is nice. Nice curling too. Congrats.

Congrats on a beautiful uke! I recently got a koaloha Opio tenor and it's amazing in both tone and volume like you say (and mines not even a Hawaiian made so I can only imagine how yours sounds). I'm definitely a koaloha guy now! Can't wait to have a Hawaiin made one day!

That is lovely! I can see why you couldn't resist it!

It's good that your ukes sound different. Some of mine are louder or more resonant or have a deep tone or have a classic percussive sound. I find some songs are better on one uke vs. another.

Gorgeous. Concert is my size. Along with the Kanilea concert, they don't call it a "tone monster" without good reason. Congrats. I'd sure like to play one some day. Maybe someone will have one at the Tampa Bay Ukulele Getaway in November.

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'm lucky I think!

Phil - I definitely recommend trying playing one if you get the chance. I've really enjoyed mine so far. The size difference also makes it a bit more portable, it's as light as a feather!

yep, they are loud little buggers. Part of the reason must be their light bracing. They are a little on the fragile side and tend to crack if they get too dry, but that's the trade off. Mine is Jan, 2010, plain bridge and smaller fret dots, what's yours?

Last edited:
Congrats, on a lovely pair of ukes, and they should complement each other quite nicely. Nice photos too! :cool:

KoAloha and friction tuners.

Both are the best.

Thanks Steedy! I'm no photographer unfortunately but it's the first time I've used a proper camera to photograph them.

Strumsilly - the date of my uke is October 2014. As far as I can remember, it's an all koa body with koa fretboard and koa binding at the sides of the fretboard. The neck is mahogany (or maybe sepele). The bridge has KoAloha written on it. The friction tuners are red KoAloha items but I don't know much else about them!

Hi everyone,

I debated about getting a KoAloha when I got my first 'proper' ukulele but decided to go for a Kamaka. However, I saw this KoAloha concert KCM-00 a few days ago and couldn't resist this time.

The uke is really well made and looks wise I think it's really impressive. The koa wood has a lovely pattern and I really like the use of koa for the fretboard, binding and fret markers (which I think actually are a bit too big but I still like them).

The main point about this ukulele is the sound though. This is a concert size and the volume and tone is really impressive. My Kamaka tenor is very mellow and has a lovely tone but I think the KoAloha (even in concert size) is louder. It has a bright Hawaiian tone which I really like and it sounds great. I am sure this is due to the sound hole (which I think looks cool too). This uke has the older style bridge which says KoAloha as I understand the newer models are being shipped with a plain bridge.

Congratulations on your new KoAloha! I'm waiting to get a tenor. FYI, all of the concert, soprano and pineapple sizes come with the stamped "KoAloha" bridge still so it's not an older style bridge. Only the tenor size has the plain rosewood bridge.

Very nice! I adore the KoAloha sound. And you scored a nice looking one to boot! Congrats!!!

Congrats! I've often seen them described on UU as "canons". I'd consider that a good thing, and if I ever have the opportunity, I'd love to try one! Enjoy yours, and the Kamaka too! :D

What a handsome couple of ukes! They should keep you uke happy for a while!

Thanks for all the nice comments!

Fretie - I agree. I don't think I'll need anything else for a pretty long while! Especially from a bank balance point of view.

Top Bottom