The cleanest vintage Martin 3K I have ever seen

Tigershark

Reaction score
I used to own this one until last year. It had been passed down through a family generation after generation and barely even touched. Now it's up for sale at Folkway Music.

When I first got it I felt like I had walked into a music store in the 1920's and bought a new Martin 3K. Insane flame and perfect finish, just ever so slightly dull, not glossy at all like modern finishes that never really look right. The tuner buttons weren't even discolored. What a jewel!

The photos on the Folkway site make it look a little dark, some more sunlight would really show off the glow of the finish.

http://www.folkwaymusic.com/vintage-instruments/martin-guitars/1925-martin-style-3k-0515/

3k-0515-TUN.jpg

Gorgeous! Why did you part with it? And did you sell it to the store or somebody else?

I traded it towards an old guitar I really wanted. It was tough to let such a perfect uke go but I have another much earlier 3K to keep me company :)

Awesome! Will be very hard to "not miss" even if you do have another.

Must have been quite a guitar .

Here it is in the sunlight.

image.jpg

As a guitar and ukulele enthusiast, may I ask what guitar you acquired for this lovely uke?

That is just glorious. I'm glad you have another 3K to keep you from missing that one.

Legitimate question here...Given the sizable investment and that there aren't serial numbers on these, how do you validate the authenticity?

Legitimate question here...Given the sizable investment and that there aren't serial numbers on these, how do you validate the authenticity?
Walsh & King book and a keen eye. ��

And lots of prayers, Eddie.

Last edited:
Very beautiful instrument -- the "in the sun" photo really brings out how gorgeous it is. Kind of brings back my yearning for a koa soprano. :)

As a guitar and ukulele enthusiast, may I ask what guitar you acquired for this lovely uke?

It wasn't a straight across trade, there was a lot of stuff moving around. But now I get to play a very early sunburst Telecaster Custom.

I'm not aware of many out and out counterfeit vintage ukuleles, but there are a number of things that let you know that what you are buying is authentic. The best tool is hands on experience, of owning, playing, and handling many vintage ukuleles. They don't have to be expensive to get a feel for what an original finish and the correct materials look like.

For this 3K there are many characteristics that are all consistent for the mid-1920's time period. Flamey Koa, for example, is what you would expect. The earlier 3K's were typically plainer with less figure. The pearl work (look closely at the shapes and inlay technique) and the color of the material are extremely hard to match. The bridge style, saddle type, nut shape, and tuners are all consitent with this era. There are subtle differences from the different time periods. Also check inside - the tooling marks, bracing, kerfing, and neck block all have signature Martin touches.

I rather buy a Moore Bettah than buy a $7500 Martin ;)

This topic isn't about money, or brand wars. It's about an exceptional vintage ukulele for everyone to check out. I got to play it and enjoy owning it for a while and it was too cool not to share.

Just stumbled on this thread. I purchased the Uke. Looking forward to it! Appreciate all the great info on it. Thanks all. Otto

Just stumbled on this thread. I purchased the Uke. Looking forward to it! Appreciate all the great info on it. Thanks all. Otto

Congrats! Looks like a fine old piece! Action looks a bit out of whack. Send it to Jake at Antebellum Instruments......he's magic with an old ukulele! You'll be very, very glad that you did.

Top Bottom