Making the Best of Skype Lessons?

the.ronin

Reaction score
I'm going to be giving a skype lesson a shot. Any tips on making the best of it? I've got a pretty good webcam (HD, with onboard stereo mic - I can also hook up my Zoom H4n if needed). My main concern is the latency. Just looking at the webcam test view, theres significant latency just clapping your hands.

I've used Facetime and it works fine. I personally think it's better than Skype, but you can use either. You can't play anything together, but certainly comes across fine to critique someone.

I've had Skype lessons for 5 years. I am still astounded by what he hears. He catches everything. (And I only use my laptop sound equipment.) Only a few times have I wished his hands could come through the screen and help me.

One thing I do is use Call Recorder (it's not free) to get audio and video of the lessons. That way I can always go back for review.

Have fun.

I've found Skype to be more reliable with a greater overall picture quality. I'll usually take it over Facetime. I use both depending on the student. Facetime might have less latency.

A tool that most of my students don't take advantage of is the ability to record what we're doing. Use Quicktime to record the screen and audio so you can refer back to the lesson. Or take good notes.

Practice what you're given and I'm sure both of you will be happy with your progress.

Use Quicktime to record the screen and audio so you can refer back to the lesson. Or take good notes.

Brad, can you say more about how to use QuickTime to record the screen and audio? I'd like to record Skype lessons on my older Mac laptop but not sure how to best do it.

thanks,
Erin

You just open Quicktime and go to file > new screen recording and then click the record button on the little window. I have no idea what QT this feature first appeared on. Hopefully your computer can do it. The most awkward thing is the audio which automatically picks up from your mic. So if you're Skyping with someone, you don't hear what goes directly into their mic, you hear what comes out of your speakers. There is a way to route sound directly from your audiocard into QT, but I never could figure it out and it would be nice to hear yourself in the lesson too.

If QT fails, there are lots of programs that will do the same thing.

Top Bottom