FS - Lyon & Healy Washburn Soprano 1920's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walker78

Reaction score
FS - Lyon & Healy Washburn Vintage Soprano With Hard Case

Well, I have decided to part with my vintage Lyon & Healy Washburn soprano.
I love this instrument and the only reason for sale is the sudden desire to get a concert size. I've limited myself to soprano for so long, because they look great, they're the traditional size etc. Long story short, I had a go on a concert for the first time yesterday, What a revelation! I've decided to order a nice custom concert and this sale will cover my deposit.

Anyway, back to the sale.
Made in Chicago in the early 20's.
Solid Mahogany, Rosewood fretboard.
All original, no cracks.
Obviously signs of wear here and there, marks in finish etc, all adds to the vintage charm and character.
Tuners work perfectly, frets and fretboard in great shape.
Strung with Martin flurocarbons, intonation spot on.
It has a fabulous subtle 'V' shape in the neck which feels great to hold.
Sound wise its very, very sweet, great sustain. Equally at home playing old plinky tunes or more modern stuff.

There are a few others out there but all the ones I've seen have replacement parts, bridge, tuners etc so this is rare in that its all original!

Includes a Kinsman hard case in mint condition.

I'm asking for £175 (€247) ($272).
£15 shipping UK, €35 Europe, $40 U.S.
All fully insured and well packed for the journey.

PayPal please.

Thanks.

Darren.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up one just like this last week. These are amazing little ukes! The volume is nearly as loud as my Timms but much more mellow! Whoever buys this uke will be quite happy!

Good Luck with the sale!

I picked up one just like this last week. These are amazing little ukes! The volume is nearly as loud as my Timms but much more mellow! Whoever buys this uke will be quite happy!

Good Luck with the sale!

Thank you! You're right, they are pretty special. Someone should snap it up before I change my mind!
The fact that it's 90+ years old and still solid as a rock is testament to the materials and build quality. They clearly knew their craft in Chicago back then, I believe L&H only made ukuleles for a short time so there aren't too many out there. Here's a couple of pics of other similar models they made. Love the green binding!

image.jpg
image.jpg

If anyone requires photos of anything specific on the uke, close ups etc just jet me know, happy to oblige. Cheers!

Last edited:
Honestly thought there would be a lot of interest in this uke, over 400 views and no takers says otherwise!

Maybe it needs storing a few more decades until it becomes more desirable :confused:

Last edited:
I have been trying to upload a video sound sample to my YouTube account but it's just saying 'pending' since yesterday so no idea what's up. Here's a link to a very similar model on YouTube, sounds identical to mine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsmDq6s5HQ

Also a link to a review of a L&H tenor uke from the same period, just to give you a little info on the company.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=czCWhg5qb9E

One and only price reduction, now £150. You can probably tell how desperate I am to get my new concert ordered!
Seriously can't go any lower, it's already way underpriced and the hard case costs £30 on its own. Cheers

Last edited:
Just had a very kind pm from a fellow member, giving some advice on my sale so thought I'd post a quick message to anyone who may be interested in the uke.
I understand people's concerns, when someone sells on a recently purchased instrument it could and sometimes should raise a red flag for obvious reasons.
I must add, that it's not hard to find a lot of people on here who have bought a uke, raved about it in a nud thread, then put it up for sale weeks later. I suppose this is usually veteran members tho so their reputation gives confidence to potential buyers.
As stated in my original post the reason for the sale is genuine, I really wish I'd bought a concert uke. I have stuck with soprano size for years and after recently watching a lot of Corey's videos on YouTube it finally hit me that I need to change if I'm to play the kind of stuff I'd like to.
I really wouldn't risk my UU account by trying to pass on something rubbish, it means a lot to me being able to post here and learn from like minded people and hope it continues.
Feel free to PM me for a phone number if you like, my auction site user name is aw2878 if you want to have a look, 100% feedback. It may end up for sale on there if no joy here.
Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. Massive apologies to anyone I've offended and if someone wants to buy it, great. If not no worries. I'll get my concert uke ordered anyway and the L&H will stay on here for a while. This is a vintage, 90 year old Washburn ukulele that looks great, plays great and sounds great and worth double what I'm asking. I paid £200 so my price seems fair to me. Regards

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom