Baritone Uke Resources

Ken608

Reaction score
I hope this is the proper forum for this request.

FedEx is delivering my Pono MB today (yippee). I ordered it from HMS (definite plug!) with standard baritone tuned Worth brown strings. I'm not very familiar with it's tuning so I'm trying to find as many resources (sites, books, etc.) as possible to help me successfully progress with my Bari.

As you know, there is plenty of tenor tuned material but I find little for the baritone.

Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Ken608
Welcome to UU. What are you looking for... chord charts or fingerpicking tabs? Are you planning to tune it to the standard bari DGBE? This site has a lot of Bari/ low G tuned tabs that you might enjoy, along with re-entrant songs PDF Minstrel

–Lori

If you are looking for songs in tab check out the site "Doctor Uke". They have over 1600 songs and many of them have a baritone version.

Stringing and tuning determines much of what can be done with a baritone 'uke. If you want to go re-entrant and slack, David Heaukulani's book UKULELE SLACK-KEY covers baritones as well as tenors. A baritone in linear DGBE is tuned exactly like the top four strings of a guitar so any guitar chord charts and tabs will apply. My Harmonia baritone has a small voice; I use it as a quiet practice guitar in DGBE but also sometimes in DGCF, straight 4ths. I'm tempted to string another bari in straight 5ths and handle it like a tenor guitar. A bari is a very versatile instrument that you can bend to your will. Have fun exploring!

I hope this is the proper forum for this request.

FedEx is delivering my Pono MB today (yippee). I ordered it from HMS (definite plug!) with standard baritone tuned Worth brown strings. I'm not very familiar with it's tuning so I'm trying to find as many resources (sites, books, etc.) as possible to help me successfully progress with my Bari.

As you know, there is plenty of tenor tuned material but I find little for the baritone.

Thanks for your assistance.

How about an update? Do you like it? Have you found it easy to transition from guitar?

This is a very timely thread! We've had this old bari lying around for a couple of years, just had it set up, got new tuners and strings, and two strap pins. Tamara could never make any sense out of re-entrant tuning. Now, with the bari, she is starting to grasp the ukulele. It's fairly easy for her to figure out a song, and get into the right key and start playing along to recordings. She liked her tenor strung lo G, but is getting along with the bari even better.
I'll show her these links. Thanks guys!

I really like the Pono MB. The Worth browns sounded good but I wanted to find out how the Guadalupe custom low G GCEA all wound strings sounded. They are tuned an octave lower than a tenor but the chord shapes are the same.

I've only had them on about two weeks but my first impression is that they are super for jamming. The low sound is really nice with the other standard tuned ukes. You probably would not want to use it for serious solo work. As I already knew, the thicker all-wound strings are harder on the fingers and less forgiving in finger placement on the frets for clean chords.

Top Bottom