Living Water Low G Strings on Pono Tenor

Surly-Mac

Reaction score
When I wanted to learn about Ken Middleton’s Living Water Strings in Low G, I was unable to find a short, simple sound sample that I could relate to; that doesn't mean there aren't great samples out there… I just didn't find it!

So, I hope this might be a helpful sound sample for those wanting to try Living Water Strings… Caution! There is some unfortunate singing on this video; but who among us can resist the urge to sing along with our ukes? (Well, I find it difficult, anyway…)

Living Water Fluorocarbon Tenor Low G
1st String Dia. (in) .0224
2nd String .0259
3rd String .0291
4th String .0358

(vs. for example Fremont Soloist low G @ .0300)

Last edited:
Very nice. Thank you for the demo.
Did you have to open up the nut slot for thr low g?

Great contribution SM, the singing was a nice touch. Those strings certainly are "Alive" and sound really nice on your Pono, which is a beauty.

I didn't touch the nut; the fat 4th G string isn't in danger of sliding out of the slot but it does ride with a bit sticking above the top. This is a LW trial for me and I'll most likely end up using a .030 wound low G - probably a Fremont Soloist or other polished ("squeak-less") wound string.

Nice. I have Living Waters on my Kamaka concert and my Pono tenor, re-entrant on both. I like them very much. I got a low G set for the tenor a couple of weeks ago but haven't put them on yet. It's good to know how they will sound. Thanks.

I didn't touch the nut; the fat 4th G string isn't in danger of sliding out of the slot but it does ride with a bit sticking above the top. This is a LW trial for me and I'll most likely end up using a .030 wound low G - probably a Fremont Soloist or other polished ("squeak-less") wound string.

Thank you for such a complete reply.

Nice work Mac, good information delivered with great style, thanks mate.

Great contribution SM, the singing was a nice touch. Those strings certainly are "Alive" and sound really nice on your Pono, which is a beauty.

Nice. I have Living Waters on my Kamaka concert and my Pono tenor, re-entrant on both. I like them very much. I got a low G set for the tenor a couple of weeks ago but haven't put them on yet. It's good to know how they will sound. Thanks.

Thanks for the visit & the kind words - I'm just fulfilling the apparent purpose assigned me by The Creator.... i.e., "Go forth and serve as a bad example." But it's fun anyway!

Thanks Mac, Sounded so good I just shot an order to Ken for a couple of low G sets for my Pono tenor. Have LW high Gs on my Kanilia concert and love the sound. Happy New Year

Interesting timing on reviving this thread. I have just been experimenting with Living Water strings on two different instruments. One is low G on Maple/Spruce Pono tenor and the other is re-entrant on a Walnut/Port Orford Cedar Ono concert . And no, the Ono is not missing a P :)

I too find them very even and the tension allows for some nice bending and vibrato action on the finger picking and melody lines. They sure took a long time to get here from Heaven, but it seems it was worth the wait.

Top Bottom