Aquila baritone strings for CGEA tuning

Fleapluckin_Flapper

Reaction score
I saw these recently & was wondering if any other baritone uke players have tried them? I'm tempted to get a set for mine & see how I like it

I'd suggest Southcoast strings

I tried them, good strings did not care for the voice.
I believe Ken Middleton makes a set of gcea baritone Living Waters.

I saw these recently & was wondering if any other baritone uke players have tried them? I'm tempted to get a set for mine & see how I like it

I tried them on my Makala baritone, and while they work fine, they sounded kind of thin, and lacking depth. I replaced them with Worth Browns (BB) baritone set and tuned to DGBE and the Worth strings are SOOO much better, sweeter and fuller. Like night-and-day.

The Aquila LAVA baritone GCEA set felt nice tho, and were very thin gauge almost like the Martin M620 tenor fluoro strings, when compared to the Nylgut and SuperNylgut strings, which are some of the fattest strings I've tried.

I have tried several different string sets on a Gianinni baritone tuned GCEA, and have been consistently unimpressed. I have gone back to tuning both to dGB with one tuned as dGBe thanks to Southcoast's comments on cuatro tuning . What a rich sound!!

Last edited:
What's the cuatro tuning used on baritone,and can it be done using a DGBE set (which is on it now- I play a Savannah) Also what does the capital letter mean when you're all sharing tunings? Thank you all for sharing your impressions & experiences.

Did try them. They were fine, but the instrument really responded better to standard Bari tuning

Tried LW's GCEA set. Wanted to like them. Thought how much easier it would be to stick with just one set of chords but I too was disappointed with the sound. "Thin" is a good way to describe it. Went back to standard G tuning.

What's the cuatro tuning used on baritone,and can it be done using a DGBE set (which is on it now- I play a Savannah) Also what does the capital letter mean when you're all sharing tunings?
Last question first: Uppercase vs lowercase letters in tunings indicate octaves. GCEA is low-G stringing; gCEA is standard 'uke high-G stringing. Notation like gCEg indicates a slack-key tuning where the top and bottom strings are both high-G.

Here is the Southcoast Strings article on Venezuelan cuatro tuning. What I gather from it is that the 4-string cuatro is tuned like a standard 'uke EXCEPT that the top and bottom strings are an octave lower. You can get there on your baritone by replacing your high E string with a low D string and tuning up to E. Hmm, that looks interesting -- I think I'll try it! (Damn, now I need to acquire another 'uke and more strings. :()

Top Bottom