ukulele floor stand for classroom ukes?

Recstar24

Reaction score
Hi,

Last school year, we invested in the eddy finn floor uke stand for our classroom, for my junior high kids to rest their ukes if we wanted to transition to a different activity and be able to pull them back up quickly:

http://www.amazon.com/Eddy-Finn-EF-US-Collapsible-A-Frame/dp/B007EV6RFK/ref=pd_sim_267_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V6Z3GDJQAPD7DEFM8ZY

However, they did not work very well and caused a lot anxiety for me and student. We ended up getting a good number of dropped ukes on the floor, because kids are kids and they rush things, and if you don't take the time to place it gently and centered in the cradle and ensure it leans back against the back post, it will tip over to the side or the front.

I was at a music store locally and saw this as an alternative:

http://www.amazon.com/FretRest-Proline-FRMS1-Mandolin-Stand/dp/B0059QNDMM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437682341&sr=8-5&keywords=fretrest

I feel this one would be more stable and more "junior high student" proof, kids just drops onto the cradle and lets it sit without much thought. The price pushes my school budget, so if anyone had other ideas for a floor uke stand that are similar, I will gladly take them.

Do the instrument stands have to be individual to the student?

Could there not be a central ukulele "tree", basically a pole or frame with cup-hooks on and loops of string attached to the machine-head of each instrument?

I use loops of string and hooks in the wall for almost all my strung instruments ... the jumbo guitars are the exception.

Just a thought ;)

Individual to the student. In my room, students are placed in their own space all around the room, so will need their own stand.

I like the hanging style stand best, I've used the first one you show and the one Ukujenny showed and now use the hanging style for both my ukes and u-basses as part of my music stand.

Take a stand ... I mean .... "Make a Stand"

I too have one of those black plastic stands. Same experience as previous post -- flimsy, lightweight, and very prone to being knocked over. It's not gonna do what you want. I also have the Kala "stand out" which is very pricey but does hold the instrument. I like the idea of a ukulele tree. I've seen them in music stores.

How about this idea -- construct your own cardboard ukulele stand
It has a similar design as the Kala stand out. But what a terrific class project. And everyone can decorate their own stand. I think this could be your cheap, easy, fun and unique way to let the fleas rest. Of course with standardized testing and pressure on teachers to stick to the curriculum would you be able to devote the time? There's critical thinking, math, design concepts, peer support, collaboration and I'm sure many other learning opportunities with this project.

Over the years I've switched to Hercules brand stands for everything from soprano ukulele to acoustic bass. Single, double, and triple stands for studio, stage, classroom, and travel.

http://www.herculesstands.com

Having been a classroom teacher (and some of it in a ukulele used environment), where there is student movement, there is potential damage with whatever is used. I sold you the Eddie Finn stands, and agree with you, they are not just drop in place stands....neither are any of those small floor stand even from other importers. I had a student knock over a 75 pound DeWalt Precision Scroll saw on a steel stand, and it was broken. Maybe there is no "kidproof" solution. Adults use them on the tables at our uke meetings with good results. I have seen plans for wood floor stands which are just a glorified wood plate holder, and fold flat. hmmmmmm .... it should sit in the "pocket at the bottom and have adjustable arms out to support at the pinch of the waist.

Back to the drawing board.....within the measurements of affordable to your budget.

For a normal thoughtful careful human being, the eddy Finn floor stands and the like work great. Unfortunately my 12-14 hormonal adolescents are not in that category ;)

The top hook hanger should work well, ever better if there is a little patch that locks over the opening like you see on some guitar stands, and couple that with a base of sorts, should be a winner.

Are the students using music stands? If they are using the old school sturdy heavy bottomed ones, there are uke hangers that screw on to the stand. Musicians Friend has two models.

Are the students using music stands? If they are using the old school sturdy heavy bottomed ones, there are uke hangers that screw on to the stand. Musicians Friend has two models.

This, totally. Or clamp to their desk leg.

I was just thinking the hanging uke stand might cut down on floor clutter.

Find a cardboard box. Not the box the uke comes in. It needs to be high enough so the uke will stand up, wide enough so its hard to tip over, easy for the children to get the uke in, fits under the chair or desk. Place an old telephone book in the bottom for stability.
Look in local supermarket for the box for free. It wont matter if there are different boxes, as long as they do the job.

I think the box idea is really great. It is inexpensive, and it keeps the uke from getting out, even if the "stand' is bumped. Cardboard would be easy on the finish, and the phone book at the bottom provides cushion as well as stability. A folded towel on the bottom would add to the protection. The boxes might take up more room, but they could be decorated by the students. I recently had an empty box nearby, and used it as a stand, and it was more worry free than the standard stand I had next to it.
–Lori

For a normal thoughtful careful human being, the eddy Finn floor stands and the like work great. Unfortunately my 12-14 hormonal adolescents are not in that category ;)
What do hormones have anything to do with it?

These are not little 6-7 year olds that don't know better. At 12-14 they are becoming young adults who should be a bit more responsible.

Just curious... Does the school provide the ukuleles for them to use? Kids tend to be more careful with their own things than with things they have no stake in.

What do hormones have anything to do with it?

These are not little 6-7 year olds that don't know better. At 12-14 they are becoming young adults who should be a bit more responsible.

Just curious... Does the school provide the ukuleles for them to use? Kids tend to be more careful with their own things than with things they have no stake in.

You've obviously never had to deal with adolescents en masse. They are not the most careful of beasts even with their own stuff, especially as at that age, their parents probably bought it anyway.

To the OP
I can't see why you're so insistent on each having their own stand - unless the ukes are their own anyway. I would have thought 'tree' type stands capable of holding three or four ukes strategically round the room would work just as well and cost less overall. They need to have a wide base for stability but the ones I've seen usually have three quite long feet and look nice and sturdy.

I've taught science to the age group you're dealing with, btw so I'm well aware of the problems they can present.

The music stand uke hangers can definitely work, as each kid has their own music stand. And it would save on floor clutter.

Tootler,

Thank you for sympathizing with my pain, it is much appreciated. The kids are great, but they have a lot of energy which sometimes manifests itself into dropped goods. I prefer each kid to have their own thing as it allows me to quickly transition from playing to resting to writing back to playing and so on and so forth, its more a classroom management thing where I feel if each kid has their own resting stand it can help make the lesson flow better from activity to activity. Not sure where I would store the tree type stands either as I'm running out of space, with the individual floor stands I should be able to fold them and tuck them away when not in use.

Top Bottom