Ohana Sopranino REVIEW

Ken Middleton

Reaction score
Ohana sent me one of their beautiful little sopraninos to review.

OHANA SK-21 Sopranino

Thinking of getting one? Check out my review.

KEN

Unfortunately I'm currently downloading a boatload of stuff with the hope of finally getting some sort of workable DAW on my Linux box so I'll have to wait to check this out.

But I bet it'll be great!

EDIT: Yep, great review. As someone mentioned in the comments, there's a gig bag available for it. Also, try tuning yours up way high. I think it really shines way up there. You can try the Eb you mentioned, but I've got mine cranked all the way up to F.

Last edited:
Stupid question....does tuning-up change the chord finger patterns?
So you could tune up from GCEA to what exactly?

Stupid question....does tuning-up change the chord finger patterns?
So you could tune up from GCEA to what exactly?

No, as long as you tune up each string by the same amount, the finger patterns remain the same. Just the chord names change.

A chord of C in G C E A tuning becomes

a chord of D in A D F# B tuning and

a chord of Eb in Bb Eb G C tuning.

Hope that makes some sense.

All the above tunings can be used for a sopranino.

Thanks for the clarification Ken, and thank you for the nice review.
I was on the fence about getting one and your review pushed me over.

I want to buy it after this review! Thanks,:D

But theukuleleshop.co.uk refused to ship to Norway... :mad:

ken, your review was the final nail in the coffin, so to speak... bought the sopranino a week ago as an eventual gift to my nephews but i have yet to stop playing it!

I love your reviews, thorough and well thought through. That concludes this week's episode of "Words with 'ough' ", kids.

Man, I wish they would carry that thing in Japan... It looks like the ideal "put in your bicycle basket and go to the park" uke... no disrespect meant btw. I had a decent soprano for that but gave it ("deach-ent soprano", anyone? Oooo...painful ;)) to a friend in ukulele-deprived Korea. As soon as they start selling here I'm getting one!

ken, your review was the final nail in the coffin, so to speak... bought the sopranino a week ago as an eventual gift to my nephews but i have yet to stop playing it!

Keep it and enjoy it. Buy your nephews something else. Or, you could get another sopranino. They are really great value for money for an all-solid instrument.

Top Bottom