PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Ukulele Book List

dirtiestkidever
07-26-2015, 07:14 PM
I thought the other thread was about this until I read it. But what are your top 5 uke tab books? I am always looking for good intermediate-level finger-picking style tab books.

Here are my top 5.

1. Ukulelezaza - Happy Days Are Here Again (https://www.etsy.com/listing/194943105/happy-days-are-here-again-ukulele-tabs?ref=shop_home_active_1)
2. Ukulelezaza - The Glory of Love (https://www.etsy.com/listing/194944755/the-glory-of-love-ukulele-tabs-book-dvd?ref=shop_home_active_2)

These two are the best of the best. I have learned so much from these. From new chords to new strums to how to put together melodies.

3. Pekelo - Vol 2 (http://www.pekelosbooks.com/b2.php)

Pretty much only works for low G ukes (which I no longer have) so doesn't get nearly as much attention as it deserves. But a great book.

4. Aaron Keim - Clawhammer Ukulele (http://quietamericanmusic.com/storestore/clawhammer-ukulele-instruction-book-digital-version)

Makes clawhammer much less intimidating. Easy to follow. Fun songs to play.

5. Aaron Keim - Fingerstyle Ukulele Instruction Book (http://quietamericanmusic.com/storestore/fingerstyle-ukulele-instruction-book-1)

Songs for a wide range of abilities in this one. Some easy ones and some fairly advanced. Great resource though.

Hippie Dribble
07-26-2015, 07:19 PM
I only own three and I've found them each useful over the years in different ways.

1. Lyle Lite (Lyle Ritz's "easy" jazz/chord melodies - easy for him at least :p)
2. Bluegrass Ukulele (Fred Sokolow)
3. Happy Days Are Here Again (ukulelezaza)

janeray1940
07-26-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm terrible at top-five lists! But here are a few books I've found useful over the years.

The two I turn to the most are The Classical Ukulele, and Famous Solos and Duets for the Ukulele, both by John King. I wish Aaron's fingerstyle book had been around when I was a beginner - it's really well done and when I want something straightforward and easy to learn, I look there. I haven't done much with the Ukulelezaza books but if I had more time I think I would, they seem to be a good balance of challenging and manageable.

For more classical, Tony Mizen's From Lute to Uke and The Baroque Ukulele are great. Tony's new one, The Renaissance Ukulele, is en route to me in the mail as I write, so it's an unknown but I'm sure it will be just as good.

And last - for those of us lucky enough to have access to publications from Japan, Kiyoshi Kobayashi's tab books are excellent. He's arranged everything from classical to swing to J-pop to Hawaiian, so there's something for everyone - if you can find it.

Recstar24
07-27-2015, 02:53 AM
The the OP,

I wish I had something to add, but your top 5 are literally the exact same as my top 5 :)

I've played the Aaron keim stuff so much I've got them memorized front to back. Have slowly been adding in the ukulezaza stuff. And I've been going well with pekelo both 1 and 2.

kypfer
07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Not sure I've got a "top 5", but the Jamie Holding e-books, "Blame Not My Uke", "Blame Still Not My Uke" and "Classical Ukulele Arrangements" are probably my most often-used ukulele tab books.

Aaron Keim's clawhammer e-book has been given a lot of time in the past, as has Barry Sholder's "Clawhammer Ukulele" book.

... so I guess that makes five!!

That's not a complete picture, though, 'cos they're all for re-entrant instruments. I probably play as much or more music on my 5th's strung pineapple soprano or baritone (an octave lower). For these I've a hat-full of fiddle tunes, mandolin music and 4-string banjo arrangements that I use ;)

Flexible little instrument, the ukulele :cool:

Ukulele Eddie
07-27-2015, 02:13 PM
I use three pretty regularly right now:

1. Fred Sokolow's Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele
2. Polani by Daniel Ho
3. Easy Classical Ukulele Solos

Have loads of others when I'm done with these, which should be early 2028, assuming I double my current learning rate. ;-)

brimmer
07-27-2015, 09:32 PM
Mine would be the same as the OP's, except I would replace the Aaron Keim books with Craig Brandau's low G book and John King's Famous Solos and Duets. Nothing against Aaron Keim, I just haven't gotten to his books yet.

Ukettante
07-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but could someone explain what's on Ukulelezaza'a DVDs? Are they song-by-song lessons or lessons on specific techniques used in the tab books? Or how the DVDs are meant to be used with the tab books. Thanks!

Hippie Dribble
07-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but could someone explain what's on Ukulelezaza'a DVDs? Are they song-by-song lessons or lessons on specific techniques used in the tab books? Very curious.
No lessons or technical advice. Just performances of the songs to accompany those that are tabbed out in the book.

billten
07-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Tony Mizens two books, John Kings Clasical and for a little of the eclectic Rijk Sauer Blues Uke DVD and Robert Johnson's Blues for Ukulele by Pete Billmann

Kimosabe
07-28-2015, 08:31 AM
All of Glen Rose's jazz books and Mark Kailana Nelson's finger picking books.

Luke El U
07-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but

Hijacked threads are usually more interesting!

My "5" would all be for fingerpicking, since that's what I personally like playing the most.

1. Rob MacKillop (Sanz, Briggs, Celtic)
2. Tony Mizen (Renaissance, Baroque)
3. Daniel Ho (Polani)
4. Mark K. Nelson
5. John King

With also a nod to Fred Sokolow.

Recstar24
07-28-2015, 01:07 PM
This thread is not good for my BAS - just amazoned the tony mizen lute Renaissance book :facepalm

billten
07-28-2015, 04:02 PM
Oh and i forgot all the cool e-books from willhelm welti.

Kimosabe
07-28-2015, 10:34 PM
This thread is not good for my BAS - just amazoned the tony mizen lute Renaissance book :facepalm

Just start playing some of those Renaissance pieces and you won't be sorry.

You'll hear how they are the background for folk and rock progressions.

dirtiestkidever
07-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Great suggestions everybody. Thanks!

I only own three and I've found them each useful over the years in different ways.

1. Lyle Lite (Lyle Ritz's "easy" jazz/chord melodies - easy for him at least :p)
2. Bluegrass Ukulele (Fred Sokolow)
3. Happy Days Are Here Again (ukulelezaza)

I picked up Lyle Lite and Bluegrass ukulele. I have barely spent any time with either but both seem very promising, the Sokolow book especially. Thanks for the recommendations. The skill level and musical genres were exactly what i was looking for.

Pickinguker
07-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Tony MIZEN - Renaissance *****
Tony MIZEN - Baroque *****
Rob McKillop - Sanz ****
J King - Famous solos & duets ***
Pete Billmann- Robert Johnson ***

By the way a very bad one: Joe CARR - Folks songs for solo ukulele. The worst I ever seen.

kypfer
07-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Just remembered ... effectively very much at the bottom of my list:

Javier Marco's "Easy Classical Ukulele Solos" - 2nd Edition

I bought the e-book version for reading on the Kindle app on my tablet/notepad. I thought, with a 12" display, this would be perfectly usable - MISTAKE!!

Has anyone had success with this e-book on a different device? or indeed, tried the printed version?

Recstar24
07-30-2015, 11:38 AM
Tony mizen lute uke book came in today. Played through first couple of songs, then got to "pavana".

I'm sold :) great recommendation you guys.

Recstar24
08-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Darn you guys feeding my BAS...I purchased the Daniel Ho Polani on iTunes and fell in love with the music on first listen, so I amazoned the book.

Currently on my practice stand/desk:

Pekelo books 1 and 2
Tony Mizen lute to uke
Mark Kailana Nelson Learn to play finger style
Ukulelezaza book 1 (book 2 is still on the shelf)
John King Classical ukulele (will probably return to shelf as I am getting away from re-entrant)

Should also add I have the Aarom Keim stuff and all his free online stuff on my iPad

Ukulele Eddie
08-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Darn you guys feeding my BAS...I purchased the Daniel Ho Polani on iTunes and fell in love with the music on first listen, so I amazoned the book.

I love the Polani album and think it is hard to beat in terms of "pure" uke enjoyment. And while I enjoy Daniel's other works that include other instruments with the uke, the purity of Polani for me is hard to beat. The other uke instrumental album I most enjoy is Paul Hemmings, what I consider the best "seamless" collaboration of uke with other instruments.

Recstar24
08-04-2015, 07:53 PM
I love the Polani album and think it is hard to beat in terms of "pure" uke enjoyment. And while I enjoy Daniel's other works that include other instruments with the uke, the purity of Polani for me is hard to beat. The other uke instrumental album I most enjoy is Paul Hemmings, what I consider the best "seamless" collaboration of uke with other instruments.

What's impressive about Polani for me is how unique each song is. They each have their own groove, texture, overall mood and aesthetic, it's just so exciting and enjoyable, and it's all done on with 4 strings, superb writing and arranging, and some of the cleanest and most expressive playing I've ever heard. What a world!

sopher
08-14-2015, 07:08 AM
I'm a little confused by all this. Based on this thread I ordered both of Aaron Keim's books and they arrived yesterday. I would say that they are both pretty entry level and I'm not seeing much that I'm interested in there.

What are your 5 favorite INTERMEDIATE level Uke books? Something like John King's Famous Solos and Duets, or Rob MacKillops Celtic Tunes book, both of which I enjoy.

thanks

Recstar24
08-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Look over my post #21 - all of those I would call intermediate to advanced. Add Polani to that mix. All of those selections have been recommended here and either I had already or just purchased.

janeray1940
08-14-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm a little confused by all this. Based on this thread I ordered both of Aaron Keim's books and they arrived yesterday. I would say that they are both pretty entry level and I'm not seeing much that I'm interested in there.

What are your 5 favorite INTERMEDIATE level Uke books? Something like John King's Famous Solos and Duets, or Rob MacKillops Celtic Tunes book, both of which I enjoy.

thanks

I agree, Aaron's books are beginner focused but I do think they are really well done. For more of a challenge, if you enjoy the John King books you might like Tony Mizen's three books. If you play low G, Craig Brandau's jazz chord solos might be challenging enough for you. And if you like campanella, check out Jonathan Lewis's tabs (http://jons-ukulele.com/irish-tunes-for-campanella-ukulele/).

AcousticTones
08-17-2015, 01:29 AM
I'm really enjoying Fred Sokolow's The Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele. Very well done. Would love to have seen a CD with it, but since still pretty easy to pick things up since we all know the basic melodies and songs so well.

wayfarer75
08-17-2015, 03:05 AM
I've seen a couple of references to a Tony Mizen "Renaissance" book. However, I can't find one with that title. Is it "Lute to Uke"? I have the Baroque one and like it a lot.

actadh
08-17-2015, 08:54 AM
I've seen a couple of references to a Tony Mizen "Renaissance" book. However, I can't find one with that title. Is it "Lute to Uke"? I have the Baroque one and like it a lot.

It is "The Romantic Ukulele."

https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=323

Adelita (Francisco Tárrega)
By the Beautiful Blue Danube (Johann Strauss, II)
Can Can (Jacques Offenbach)
Clair de Lune (Claude Debussy)
Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy (Pyotr I. Tchaikovsky)
Etude Op. 44, No. 2 (Fernando Sor)
Funeral March of a Marionette (Charles Gounod)
Gymnopédie No. 1 (Erik Satie)
In the Hall of the Mountain King (Edvard Grieg)
Jerusalem (Hubert Parry)
Lágrima (Prelude in E Major) (Francisco Tárrega)
Largo (Antonín Dvorák)
Liberty Bell (John Philip Sousa)
Lullaby Op. 49, No. 4 (Johannes Brahms)
Moonlight Sonata (First Movement) (Ludwig van Beethoven)
Morning Mood (Edvard Grieg)
Ode to Joy (Ludwig van Beethoven)
Pavane Op. 50 (Gabriel Fauré)
Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No.4 (Frédéric Chopin)
Song without Words Op. 19, No. 6 (Felix Mendelssohn)
The Swan (Camille Saint-Saëns)
Valse Op.51, No.1 (Fernando Sor)

wayfarer75
08-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Ah, thanks! Not Renaissance, then, but a lot of favorites!

Recstar24
08-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Tony does have a renaissance book, and its the lute to uke.

Lute to uke = renaissance
Baroque = baroque
Romantic Ukulele - romantic period

wayfarer75
08-17-2015, 11:51 AM
Tony does have a renaissance book, and its the lute to uke.

Lute to uke = renaissance
Baroque = baroque
Romantic Ukulele - romantic period

Kinda what I thought when I couldn't find a book by him with "Renaissance" in the title. Thanks!

lazyharpo
01-14-2016, 01:09 AM
I haven't read enough ukulele books to have a top 5, but I would recommend Get Plucky With The Ukulele to anyone picking up the uke for the first time.

JJFN
01-14-2016, 02:38 AM
Here are mine, in no particular order:

Ukulele Roadmaps - Sokolow and Beloff
Pekelo 1 & 2
Anything from Glen Rose
Jumpin Jim's Ukulele Masters: Lyle Ritz

Probably all the information I will ever need.

Rllink
01-14-2016, 02:40 AM
I just got another new book for Christmas, and it pretty much has the same things in it as five other books that I have. When I get around to it, I think that there I'm going to be selling a half dozen ukulele books, Twenty five dollars, OBO.

Croaky Keith
01-14-2016, 02:40 AM
The Ukulele - A History

Ukulele for Dummies

Ukulele Exercises for Dummies

(I also have a subscription to 'UKE' magazine.)

UkeInTW
01-14-2016, 05:01 PM
What's impressive about Polani for me is how unique each song is. They each have their own groove, texture, overall mood and aesthetic, it's just so exciting and enjoyable, and it's all done on with 4 strings, superb writing and arranging, and some of the cleanest and most expressive playing I've ever heard. What a world!

Dittos on the votes for Polani. It is the best book for some finger picking songs, imho. It is not instructional at all, but if you are looking for beautiful picking style songs, to me it is the best. So, many beautiful songs on there.

And one of the things that set it apart is that you can listen to the Polani "CD" to hear how Daniel intended it to sound and hear all the nuances and style and purity in his playing that you dont get with any other book. Even when one learns to play the tabs, there is still more to learn to try and get closer to all the nuances, the clarity and expressive playing, but it is something to aspire to and keep working towards. And some of the songs have parts that are just too hard for me right now, but there are others less difficult. And for the difficult parts, hope I can get there in the future. But, to me it is the definitive finger picking book of songs.

Luke El U
01-14-2016, 10:20 PM
Warning: possible thread hijack.
Not TAB books but wonderful books of history, visuals and assorted facts, performers, builders and so-on:
1. The Ukulele - A History. Jim Tranquada; John King (Every ukulele enthusiast needs a copy of this book. It is a serious, academic and exhaustive study of the instruemnt from it's origins to the present day)
2. The Ukulele - A Visual History. Jim Beloff.
3. The Martin Ukulele. Tom Walsh; John King.
4. Ukulele Heroes - The Golden Age. Ian Whitcomb.
5. Finding Paradise. Severson; Horikawa; Saville (Stunning coffee table hardback about the History of Hawai'i told through the lens of the creative arts and featuring a beautiful chapter on the ukulele)

I love thread hijacks! The more, the merrier!
I have books #1+2 from your list, have seen #4, heard about #3, but this is my first whiff of #5.

Dan Uke
01-15-2016, 07:28 AM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977358934/making-and-owning-a-bettah-ukulele