NUD - Pre-loved Kinnard Super Tenor Ukulele

Camsuke

Reaction score
Well the stars and planets truly aligned for me with the recent purchase of this wonderful pre-loved John. S. Kinnard Super Tenor.

And I am very grateful to my UU friends that helped to make this possible.

Ukulele Eddie for starting the thread showing Kimo Hussey demonstrating this beautiful instrument.
Laura (Wayfarer 75) for posting the link to HMS.
MM Stan & Jon Duncan for great advice regarding the purchase.
Craig Tuner & Hodge (Doc_J) for terrific sound samples that convinced me that these Kinnard ukuleles are totally awesome.

Finally to Andrew at HMS for his friendly & professional service to the ukulele community.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Gorgeous instrument mate, soundwise and aesthetics, surpassed only by that truly jawdropping rendition of "El Noi De La Mare". Congratulations Cam. If I was that uke I would be rapt to have found a home in your hands.

Congratulations, Campbell! I am so glad that someone from UU picked up this wonderful uke. I have been curious about this one ever since I've seen it being built on John Kinnard's website.

Your video is great, makes this uke sound even better than in Kimo Hussey's hands, seriously!

One thing that I have been wondering about: What strings are being used on this uke, having a larger scale length than a regular tenor?

Absolutely stunning.......the looks, sounds and of course your playing. You two were meant for each other. Congratulations on attaining a truely special instrument.

I'm so glad you bought that uke! It's not every day one of Kimo's ukes goes on sale. It's very special and its sound is amazing. Those Kinnards are really great.

Excellent playing Campbell. Very nice flow and tempo with phrasing. You look very comfortable with that extra length on the fretboard! The Kinnard sound is rich and full and clear. I'm really happy that you're happy.

Great playing and I love the visual of the black background. Looks like Thing from Addams Family is playing the uke! hahaha

Wonderful instrument. The Kinnard sound IMO is really best suited to this kind of music, a perfect match...

Always here for you, Campbell! ;-)

Truly magnificent instrument and glad it's in your very talented and capable hands. BTW, your video with its all engulfing black background is awesome -- it looks like hands dancing on their own on the instrument. It's sort of a little freaky, actually!

Enjoy!!

Great playing and a wonderful sounding uke!

Mitch
Thanks Mitch, I've been after one of these fine ukes for a while now, I couldn't be happier.

Congratulations, Campbell! I am so glad that someone from UU picked up this wonderful uke. I have been curious about this one ever since I've seen it being built on John Kinnard's website.

Your video is great, makes this uke sound even better than in Kimo Hussey's hands, seriously!

One thing that I have been wondering about: What strings are being used on this uke, having a larger scale length than a regular tenor?
Thanks for your kind words Rakelele, the combination of the 19" scale length and 1 9/16" fretboard is a brilliant concept, for me it fills the void between a regular tenor scale and baritone. These strings are SC, but not sure which type. I might try Savarez 520 low tension classical guitar strings and see how they go. I've been using those on my baritone and find that they work really well.

Congratulations! You got a wonderful uke and you really make it sing!
Thanks so much Caukulele!

Absolutely stunning.......the looks, sounds and of course your playing. You two were meant for each other. Congratulations on attaining a truely special instrument.
Thanks mate, I appreciate your well wishes and agree with you totally, this is a special uke.

I'm so glad you bought that uke! It's not every day one of Kimo's ukes goes on sale. It's very special and its sound is amazing. Those Kinnards are really great.
Thanks heaps Laura, without you posting the link to HMS I would have missed this wonderful uke, thanks again for your help.

Excellent playing Campbell. Very nice flow and tempo with phrasing. You look very comfortable with that extra length on the fretboard! The Kinnard sound is rich and full and clear. I'm really happy that you're happy.
Thank you Craig, comfort is the word mate, this ukulele is so comfortable to play, the extra room on the fingerboard is a real luxury.

Great playing and I love the visual of the black background. Looks like Thing from Addams Family is playing the uke! hahaha
Thanks Dan! That show was a favorite of mine growing up, maybe that's where I got the idea!

Wonderful instrument. The Kinnard sound IMO is really best suited to this kind of music, a perfect match...
Thanks Billten, John Kinnard & Kimo Hussey have design something quite unique with this ukulele. Not a radical change, just subtle tweaks here and there which seem to work really well.

Always here for you, Campbell! ;-)

Truly magnificent instrument and glad it's in your very talented and capable hands. BTW, your video with its all engulfing black background is awesome -- it looks like hands dancing on their own on the instrument. It's sort of a little freaky, actually!

Enjoy!!
Hi mate, thanks again for starting the chain of events which culminated in the purchase of this ukulele, I was smitten from the get go! I prefer to use the black background for videos because I have a great face for radio! Boom Boom!

Congratulations, it is Beautiful in every way. I especially like the headstock.

Welcome to the Kinnard family!

You have a lovely one that I would have snapped up if I didn't have my tenor.

I've never played or encountered one of John's ukuleles in the wild, however, I've heard enough clips and looked at enough images to know the tone is beautiful and the craftsmanship is excellent.

If I wasn't already happy with my trio, I'd be on his list.

Cam, your sensitivity and competency make you and the Kinnard a perfect match.

I've never played or encountered one of John's ukuleles in the wild, however, I've heard enough clips and looked at enough images to know the tone is beautiful and the craftsmanship is excellent.

If I wasn't already happy with my trio, I'd be on his list.
Yes sir, I totally agree, these ukes are real keepers!

Cam, your sensitivity and competency make you and the Kinnard a perfect match.
Hi Hollis, thanks for your generous comments mate, they are much appreciated. Good luck with the hydrotherapy treatment too, hopefully it's starting to get you back on your feet.

Congratulations to you both - I think the Kinnard is just as pleased as you are. Beautiful video...

Top Bottom