Good starting Uke for a newbie

Sonic Rush

Reaction score
So I have recently taken an interest in the idea of learning to play the ukulele and was wondering what would make for a good starter uke. I'm looking for something in the ball park of 100 ~ 200 dollars and thought this would be one of the best places to ask for opinions on that.

Thanks very much in advanced.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I'll have to look them over a little more thoroughly after this week. (Finals at my college)

And to answer Sagrr's question:
I have some experience with music. Did band in middle and high school (I played the clarinet)

Much luck on your finals.

Remember, if you have NO idea what the answer is:

"c" or "x=8"

I was using a Mahogany laminate MAHALO Pineapple for 10 years before I could afford a solid Koa, I paid I think $49.95 and the sound was surprisingly decent. Kept me playing when I couldn't afford anything else, I recommend one for a beginner.

U-320P.jpg

A great upgrade would be a KALA KA-ST the solid spruce top making this a great sounding ukulele for the money.
http://www.kalaukulele.com/KA-ST.htm

Last edited:
Well, I ended up buying a Kala KA-SC Solid Sprucetop concert ukulele. Just ordered it today so hopefully she'll be mine soon enough. :D
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and such.

Good choice! You'll not be sorry. I got my Kala KA-SC from MGM in January, and I love it....

Top Bottom