Kala is bringing us new stuff again

No, but they are at, or will be coming to Uke Republic. Kinda neat. :)

Mike, from Uke Republic has done a demo. They sound pretty good. I would love to hear one in person.

I like the look of the Florentine cutaway model. As for "comfort edges", well, I think it's a little gimmicky, but I may underestimate the ergonomic benefits.

The comfort edges are arm bevels. They are wonderful to have on a tenor. My Luis Feu de Mesquita tenor has one. It makes a meaningful difference in how comfortable to hold the ukulele is. I find that it even alleviates some of the problems I have with my left hand. Maybe because I am just more comfortable overall. I don't think the bevel is a gimmick at all. To me it is a way more meaningful improvement than a radius fretboard.

Last edited:
I agree with katy. I have several instruments with bevels (including an LFdM and a couple guitars), and they really do enhance playing comfort. The concept is usually associated with luthier William "Grit" Laskin, and is often called a Laskin Armrest.

I have to really wonder if that bevel makes a $400 uke worth $800 though.
That seems like a pretty steep price hike for what it is considering that's a factory uke.

The Oscar Schmidt comfort series also has the bevel, and a "cut away" for sub $200, but the sound isn't nearly as good as the kala cedar tops.

I see that Snail Ukuleles is in on the game too, with an all laminate model.

The Kala Comfort edge Ukes not only have a solid cedar top but solid Rosewood back and sides. I have an all solid Acacia Kala 10th Anniversary Uke. I think they have upped their QC on the higher end Kalashnikov
Cliff

I'm thinking the prices we are seeing are the quoted price and the actual street price will be more like $499.

I'm thinking the prices we are seeing are the quoted price and the actual street price will be more like $499.

That is a lot of Uke for the money ... I like the comfort features of my other Uke.

Uke Republic have them on their website for sale. Cutaway model $599, non cutaway $499. Definitely a lot of uke for the money

Last edited:
Sounds like I'm gonna start savin'.....might have yet another Kala soon. Although, I have to say, my luthier is building some very nice ukes.....gawd.
But the Kala comes with a pickup....good lord, please help, my UAS is kicking in again....dang it.

Last edited:
Sounds like I'm gonna start savin'.....might have yet another Kala soon. Although, I have to say, my luthier is building some very nice ukes.....gawd.
But the Kala comes with a pickup....good lord, please help, my UAS is kicking in again....dang it.

Nickie.........you got nobody to blame but yourself. Should not have started this thread, it's like throwing newpaper on a fire :p:p

Top Bottom