D7 chord?

ProfessorB

Reaction score
In some places I see D7 as second fret on the g and the e strings and in others as barring all strings on the second fret and one finger on the A string. What's the correct way? Or better? Or what's the difference?

In some places I see D7 as second fret on the g and the e strings and in others as barring all strings on the second fret and one finger on the A string. What's the correct way? Or better? Or what's the difference?
The first one is called the Hawaiian D7, and the second is just called a D7 I guesss. Maybe first position D7. Nothing with the ukulele is correct, learn them both, and you will be glad you did. There are several other ways to play D7 up the fretboard. They are just everywhere. :) Seriously, they are both close enough to be interchangeable most of the time, but they do have a little different voice, so it is fun enough to switch them up and see what sounds good. You might notice though, the Hawaiian D7 does not have a D in it. I think that is kind of fun in a way. To me that is so ukulele, a chord without a root.

Last edited:
They have different applications depending on the particular song or progression. Try them both and see which one sounds better. For example, to my ears, the "Hawaiian" D7 sounds better in the G, D7, C progression of "Bad Moon Rising" than the barre D7 (although I don't play it as a barre). It's horses for courses, as with all chord inversions.

Top Bottom